Huckabee and Single Motherhood

Saw this on the news this morning ...

Quoted from a radio interview: "Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can’t get a job, and if it weren’t for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care. And that’s the story that we’re not seeing, and it’s unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out of children wedlock." (Huckabee) 

Article from Washington Posthttp://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/eye-on-2012/why-is-mike-huckabee-criticizi.html

So, what are you thoughts? 

*Apologies if this has already been discussed ...

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 8:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He was on Fox this morning and discussed this again. His point was that young impressionable girls look up to Natalie Portman, who is sofisticated and beautiful, and immolate her. He wants celebrities to realize this and be aware of how their actions can effect these young people.. He is a Christian man, a minister in fact. He isn't judging Portman for being pregnant as an adult, but he did say that there is a responsibility to be a positive role model. I will say again; he isn't wrong in that
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• While I think it is crazy to generalize like that, the figures don't lie.

I hate to group the highly educated career women who knew their biological clock was ticking and decided to "do it on her own" with the mothers that started as teens and didn't stop reproducing.

It is not true of everyone, but it is true more often than not. I think that having the systems to fall back on (in Michigan where I live...there is no "cut off"), has really killed any incentive to behave responsibly. Having it glorified in the media without emphasizing the financial impact a child has on a family, might give the wrong idea.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• "There aren't really a lot of single moms out there who are making millions of dollars every year for being in a movie," Huckabee said. "And I think it gives a distorted image … Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care. And that's the story that we're not seeing."

I agree
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Just an FYI...this post was discussed a few threads down. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I can't believe he picked Natalie Portman. I think I would rather my teenage daughter have her as a role model than a lot of other people. She went to Harvard and is 29 years old having her first child. It amazes me that even though she's worked hard and accomplished many things in her life, she gets bashed for getting pregnant before she's married.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Just an FYI...this post was discussed a few threads down. :o) [lorikeet]

I glanced through and didn't see it. Let me go look ....

Whoops!! Yep! There it is!! 

*skips off to go read that thread*

SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• *****sophisticated***** forgot to correct that
    jesse123456

• Here is what I said on the other post (after I found it and read through it):

I think what many are taking offense to is Huckabee's choice of words ... Instead of "MOST", he should have used "MANY". He makes it sound like single moms are too stupid to get a job and would let their kids starve to death. Portman was a poor choice for his example. If he really wanted to make a point, he should have went after those idiotic teen mom shows on MTV. Those shows have teenage girls TRYING to get knocked up just to get on the show!

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people that reallky believe that a marriage certificate automatically means healthy, happy, well-fed and loved kids. As long as there is a mommy and daddy in the home, everything will be hunky-dory!
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2011