Do you agree with Obama?

"Sixty years of Western nations excusing and accommodating the lack of freedom in the Middle East did nothing to make us safe -- because in the long run, stability cannot be purchased at the expense of liberty." He warned that, "As long as the Middle East remains a place where freedom does not flourish, it will remain a place of stagnation, resentment, and violence ready for export."

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "As long as the Middle East remains a place where freedom does not flourish, it will remain a place of stagnation, resentment, and violence ready for export."

this i agree with^^^
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Those are powerful words! It acknowledges mistakes that were made in international policy without actually saying it - very political. Of course, the need for cheap oil necessitated acceptance. That said, freedom comes at a price. Is imposed freedom really that? How can things be changed in that region by external powers without creating even more resentment?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I'm with samurai chica- that's the only part I agree with.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• So, why did he jump to the condemnation of Mubarak so quickly when Egypt is our ally, but has remained so quiet about Libya. His silence is seen as support of Ghaddafi by many who matter. Ghaddafi has been our adversary for years. England has evidence he ordered the bombing of the Lockerbie Pan Am flight 103. How do you remain silent in one case and vocal in another? Mubarak was more of a "king" and had a more oppressive rule than we are use to, but Ghaddafi is a tyant who had dungeons under the streets to torture and kill his citizens. Egyptian protesters get PBO's support. Libyan's protesters get crickets from the WH, basically. I don't get it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/24/3147217.htm

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• ***tyrant***

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• For me words dont cut it. Anyone can give good talking points. Wheres the action?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Wheres the action?

Please fill me in on you solution.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• somewhat...I just dont agree that we should bomb them then pretend we are bringing them freedom. The reason ALOT of their HATE and VIOLENCE is directed at us is our interference for decades....Had we stayed OUT of there , and NOT instilled corrupt governments / regimes...they could fight it out regionally ...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I am not the president and did not get up there and say I could do the job to millions of Americans. Why do I need to come up with a solution? That is HIS job. A job he was unprepared for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• A job he was unprepared for.

LMAO- the job of stabilizing the ME? It appears NO ONE on the planet is prepared or has been prepared for that job.

ITA with Samuri.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2011