What would you have done? re: teens and driving

~~ in our state a child under 18 must have his/her licence for 6 mo. be for he/she is allowed to have other teens in the car ~~

scenario ~ you  have 6 teens at your home for pizza, spa, and dessert; 3 of the six have had drivers licences for less than a month each, their own cars, and have driven themselves to your home.  the kids decide they want to go out for ice cream.  your child (unlicensed) comes to you and tells  you 4 of the kids are going to go but that since your house rules are that you must actually follow the law she will stay home with one other kid (licensed) while the others drive there and come back.

so what would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would have been incredibly proud of her for respecting your rule.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would have offered to drive her there and pick her up when they were done.

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• thank you eviesmommy..... I was. but what would you have done about the other kids. they are sophomores but technically you are knowingly allowing them to break the law.... do you look the other way, call parents, put your foot down???

gemgem.... I DID offer.... but she opted to stay home, and the licenced drivers did NOT want a ride.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would have left it alone and let the kids learn from natural consequences. When they get pulled over and lose their license they will learn how to follow the laws.

I would be incredibly proud of you daughter for standing by the house rules.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• You don't allow them to leave the house, as they are at your house and you let them leave knowing they are breaking the law - ultimately YOU can get in trouble. We have been known to take keys when teens enter our house so are responsible for who they are driving, who they driving etc.

You offer to drive them ALL.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't have let the other kids drive...I would have offered to bring them all.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 11:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• laws are laws. Amd rules are rules. YOu got to do what you have to do.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011