Does your 5 year old have an attitude?

My daughter has gotten such an attitude the past couple of weeks. I thought they got better at age 5. She has gotten a smart mouth and I am pregnant and I feel like screaming some days!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 5 year-old is a drama queen. If she gets a nasty mouth we have a corner and a time out chair with her name on it until she is ready to say sorry and correct her nasty statement
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My 5 year old has Autism, all though it be mild, his attitude can hit the roof someday's even at 6.5. Just stay consistent and remember you being pregnant is a major change for her and she may be a little worried about it. Plus you are pregnant so your tolerance level may be a little off. Hormons can really screw with your emotions. It will get better.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My dd just turned 6 and she started getting an attitude when she started Pre-K! I got it basically in check but then she started cheer with older girls (6-12 yr olds) so now she is a Diva. Its annoying sometimes. Mine actually screamed at me the other night. I was so angry with her for disrespecting me I turned off her TV show and put her in the corner.

Answer by gemgem at 9:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I don't have a 5 year old right now. I am trying to remember if I had this problem with my dd at that age. It seems like she was kind of mouthy at that age. I wish I had some good advice for you beside just letting her know what is acceptable and what isn't.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My son Oh my God not only has a potty mouth but can hit and kick since he was 3 he's almost 6 so I don't know what you can do because timeouts are not effective is this house.Scraming and hittring him does not help either so I just walk away from him until he calms down so sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with the enemy but he's on medss for the hyperactivity so I have a little help with him so I can deal at some level with him.
    momuv2933

Answer by momuv2933 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My daughter is only 4 but when she is having a bad day, I send her to her room and do not allow her to come out or talk to her until she decides she can be nice. She does get a warning and I tell her the she is not being nice and that I don't act that way with her. If she is going to keep being super mean, I am going to have her go to her room until she can be nice. There is no reason at all to do any "screaming and hitting", that will never work. I agree with the other person that said you must stay consistent. It can be hard but you have to. Good luck to you and know, it will eventually pass.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Oh yeah. Attitude is def. not restricted to age. They are people too and sometimes they behave very well, other times not so much.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• my 5 year old dd is absolutly horrible! shes a smart ass, shesmanipulative, shes bossy. shes her dad in a 5 year old girls body lol. even my family tells me good luck when shes 16. i hope its just her age and not actually her because she makes me want to jump off a bridge and thank god my other 2 are boys
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think a lot of times kids go through phases where they like to push limits, might also be because you are pregnant, kids sometimes act out because of insecurity.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011