What causes autism?

I am pregnant and of course things like this concern me. How do kids get it and what causes it? Why is it you never heard of this when I was kid? Has something in our enviornment caused this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• No one knows exactly what causes it. There are many theories out there from vaccines to genetics to just a combination of inherited traits that look like a disability (though science is leaning toward genetics right now) The thing about Autism there is not a definitive test, only a bunch of red flags. You get so many red flags and it's Autism. The red flags range form social interactions to motor delays and speech delays. There are different combination's of flags that decide where on the Spectrum the person lies. There is not blood test or CT scan. This makes pin pointing it's origin all the harder. With luck they will come up with a cause and maybe a cure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Well Autism is a relatively new diagnosis is why. The first man ever diagnosed with it is still alive. The person who "discovered" the disorder spent time with the man who had it and named the disorder. Since then more and more kids have gotten diagnosed. Back in the 50s people with Autism were either just different or were categorized with those with mental retardation. It has been around longer then the diagnosis, people speculate Mozart, and Einstein had it.

As for what causes it no one really knows what it is. My son has high function Autism and youd never know today unless you paid attention. I had a high fever when I was pregnant with him and some theories suggest this can cause the gene to trigger.

Answer by gemgem at 9:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Truthfully, they don't really know! That's part of the problem right now. The vaccination study that turned out to be inaccurate had researchers looking in the wrong direction for a long time. Now the focus for researchers is really determining the cause but it's complex. I have heard of children who suffer hypoxia or low amniotic fluid being prone to autism but they just don't know the cause.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• When you were a kid there was no 'Spectrum' It was classic Autism and 'the kid with delays' or the 'awkward kid' A broader definition has led to more frequent diagnosis which leads to more services, such as therapy, social skills classes and special programs for children with delays. I am thankful the definition was broadened so my son can get so much help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• No one knows yet. That is the big problem.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It's nothing to do with our environment. Autism is a nuerological disorder that develops in the brain. They're not sure exactly what triggers it, but it can be a number of different things. Whether trauma to the brain, underdevelopment, an in balance of chemicals in the brain, etc. It's not something you can prevent, it's not something you can cure, it's just one of those medical mysteries that they're working hard on correcting.

As well ... It is much wider diagnosed today because of what they've learned over the years. It still existed when our grandparents were children, but even as long ago as when you and I were kids it wasn't talked about. Disorders, dissabilities, and other things of that nature were taboo to talk about. Though they existed and were diagnosed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• We don't really know. These days autism is considered to be a neurobiological disorder of the brain. It is also NOT the fault of the parents.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 10:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Autism is a neurological disorder with many different triggers. It could be triggered from environmental things, from improper developed in the womb or it can just happen. No one really knows but it has been proven that immunizations do not cause Autism. All they really know is that it is NOT the parents fault.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2011