Gallup: Unemployment rate 10.3%...Underemployment 19.9%

So, is THIS the "Reaganesque" recovery we are supposed to be seeing in Obama's third year as president?!  Whatever happened to those "fabulous" downward unemployment trends in December that so many heralded as THE indicator that the recession was officially over and our economy was on the mend?!

Gallup's U.S. Unemployment Rate, 2010-2011 Trend

Because as many of us are aware it was at the start of Reagan's third year, that the groundwork he laid during his first two years, to turn the abysmal economic and unemployment situations around, that he "inherited" was starting to show positive results with DOWNWARD trends...not UPWARD trends, like we continue to see with the Obama presidency!

For those unfamiliar with the Reagan years (or Google), I provide you with the economic growth and unemployment data to show the differences between Reagan and Obama at the same points in their presidencies. The economic tide shifted for Reagan by the end of the 2nd quarter of his third year--as Obama is nearing the midst of end of the 1st quarter of his third year, we're still waiting for that posiitve economic shift to occur!

ReaganVsObamaJobs6QtrsAsOf020411

So WHY haven't we seen a TRULY improving economy OR reversal of unemployment trends?! (my question)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's an Obamanation. Reagan, he ISN'T. More like a Lenin.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Ugh. The numbers are not good no matter how you spin them.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 10:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• These are the numbers I was hearing on the news a couple of days ago. I didn't catch the whole story and haven't made time to look it up. Personally, I think the numbers are alarming. What do I know though!!??
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• And I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. I can't offer you proof for what I think, though. All I can say is hold on because this ride isn't over yet.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My county in NC is at 11.6%. It is above the national average, and yet the unemployed citizens of my country stood and opposed a chicken processing plant that would employee 1,100 people. So, it will go to a neighboring county that welcomes the plant, the taxes, and the future businesses that may follow it. I just don't get what people think. They need jobs. This plant offered jobs from highly skilled, to technical (food safety/quality), to environmental, to trained. The starting salaries of the lower end was to be $9 per hour. That's not great, but it is above min. wage. They turned it away because of 'water quality' concerns even though the EPA had already done its study and found it to be non-intrusive and clean. Go figure.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• it's scary, isn't it?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It's bad! My county is the worst in all of TN counties right now.There aren'/t even hardly any jobs in Knoxville.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• What a bunch of idiots jesse
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Amen, tn!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• it was going down because people were giving up on finding jobs, so they weren't claiming they were unemployed to get unemployment. i'm not sure about other states, but here you have to actively seek a job, at least apply for 2 jobs a week or you get nothing. after a while, you find no jobs to apply to, since you've applied to them all and are waiting for a phone call. now more people are unemployed, so they're claiming, and possibly people are re-claiming because new jobs have lined up to apply to. make sense?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2011