To go or not to go (birthday party)?

We got a last minute invite to a bday party yesterday. Honestly I dont know why she waited until yesterday to tell us (and everyone else). My dd is 6 and has a girl in her class who she is also in cheer with. Her mom and me spend some time together because of that. It is one of those things where mom is in the same circle of friends I have, but I dont know her really well. Anyway the party is from 4-6 tonight in the next town over. I dont mind going, but this is the first weekend we have nothing to do. And will be the ONLY weekend we have "off". After this weekend my dd will have gymnastics every Saturday morning.

Should I go to the party? Would I look bad for not going? It was last minute and I have no idea anyway what to buy for her dd.

Asked by gemgem at 9:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am that mom that waits till the last minute. I know I should plan better, but sometimes with my 4 kids, things just get away from me. Try not to be too hard on the mom for waiting until the last minute. Oh, look at me trying to justify, I know. Anyway, as for if you should go or not, I would say it if is something you really want to do, then go, but if you don't think you or your dd will miss out on much my not going, then skip it. Either way, I don't think you look bad.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If my daughter wanted to go I would take her, but I might make a comment about how it was lucky we didn't have plans.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• sounds like my 8 yr old. lol
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• you wouldn't look bad, it was last minute. Does your daughter want to go? as for presents i usually have my kid pick it out because chances are they like the same thing.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Nope. I wouldn't go. Tell her you had plans.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• jenn my dd always wants to go lol.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would go. She might feel left out if you don't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If your daughter wants to go and she knows about the invitation, I would take her. If you really don't want to though, don't. No point thinking about why the invitations went out late. There could be a very good reason for it but that's their issue, not yours.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If you want to go, go. If not, stay home.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Can't you drop your DD off and let her enjoy the party, or do you have to be there too? I can understand about wanting to keep a weekend free. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2011