Is it illegal to spank a child with a belt in the state of KY?

I saw someone spank their child with a belt, in Walmart. I live in KY and I was wondering if it was legal or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't want to get involved, I was just curious to see if it was illegal, because I mentioned something to my hubby and we are debating it now. I did look it up and had a hard time finding anything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Keep googling the info. Or google child abuse laws in KY. But, I would think it is. I have taken Child Welfare classes that cover child abuse and the state laws that we looked at were pretty similar and using ANY instrument other than an open hand constituted child abuse.

Also, if you are concerned about a child being hit with a belt in public, then step in. Imagine what is happening to the child if the are being hit with a belt in public...in private.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It is in my state. Personally, I would have stepped in. It's one thing to swat your kid in public for misbehaving... but disciplining with a belt at any time or place is unacceptable.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Call the police and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I seriously doubt it, they still had the option to paddle at my school (Russell, KY) and that was only about 4 years ago. Besides there's a difference between spanking and beating.
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 12:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• tirelessefforts, Using a belt to discpline you child IS a beating no matter what. Spanking may not be, but using a belt is!
    Anonymous

• Well SHIT! IT SHOULD BE!!! my thought is if they're doing that in public then what are they doing at home!?!? It does depend completely on what the police officer sees as child abuse. How hard and such...
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Sadly, it's legal in some states. I live in Florida and in my work have called the child abuse hotline many times over the years. I was shocked to learn that it's legal in Florida to hit your child with a belt! Appaling!
    If you can't find the answer online for your state, you can call the child abuse hotline for your state. They'll let you know the answer.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2011