Will supplimenting for the few days til my milk comes in while the baby has jaundice be difficult?

my baby was born on march 2nd and gets to go home today im not making enough milk for him yet so i have to suppliment with formula. I want to breastfeed so much but im afraid after taking a bottle for a week he wont want to take the breast at all anymore. did anyone else go through something like this?

cmwood7754

Asked by cmwood7754 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to be nursing only. I am not sure why he would have to take the bottle a week, BM normally 24-72 hours to come in if your nursing on demand. Your body will provide him with what he needs. The jaundice can be helped by taking him in the sunlight. Even if it is cold outside bundle him up and take him outside for a stroll.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• You don't need to supplement. You are producing colostrum and that is what baby needs until your milk comes in. If you start supplementing now, there is a good chance that you will not be able to successfully breastfeed. I suggest picking up and book called the the nursing mother's companion, or the womanly art of breastfeeding, it will give you tons of good information to help you sucessfully breastfeed. Good Luck!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• and congrats on your little one by the way!!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I had a similar problem with my first. Getting a breast pump saved the day for me/us. Pump to build up milk when the baby can't nurse, and to keep your breasts from getting engorged (which in my case made it difficult for my newborn to latch on properly). Avoid letting him get used to the bottle. But, with jaundice, if there isn't enough sunlight, the baby will need liquids. Nurse as often as you can, even if you think no milk is coming, put the baby to the breast often, and for as long as the baby will active nurse. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• This happened to us. My daughter was in the NICU for a week and I so sick I couldn't see her/breastfeed her for that time. She ended up using a bottle for 4 days total. Two days after we came home, and I started breastfeeding her, my milk finally came in. The transition was surprisingly smooth. Just make sure you breastfeed your baby very often, even while he/she's taking the bottle - the more you do the faster the milk will come in (and it's good practice for the both of you!) Good luck!
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• You are making enough milk for your child. A newborns stomach is the size of a marble so what you are producing is perfect. Your baby gets so so so so much from the colostrum you are producing right now. Have you spoken with an IBCLC at the hospital? Also to get your milk to fully come in you need to be nursing on demand or pumping every 2 hours around the clock. Congratulations on your new little one!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• yes... do a lot of skin to skin contact and don;t give up. I also double pumped after each feeding for about 15 minutes. find a lactation consultant they can be very helpful
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011