Nursing in public - - what did you do?

When I nursed in public, I only used nursing clothes. I had several "flap" shirts and then I had belly bands that I could pull up to make sure I was covered. However, I refused to use the wraps. For one, it was hot as sin, and for two, I just don't think they're necessary.

I am interested to know what other people did/do.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never covered up- it was too awkward and DS hated it. lol I think people tend to notice you more when you're struggling to keep a blanket in place on top of trying to successfully nurse.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I had one of those things that go over your shoulders and covers the baby
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I had a nursing cover. I felt more comfortable that way for myself. I don't have any issue with moms that don't use one though, it's all personal preference.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I was usually able to find a quiet place to sit and nurse... so it was more like semi-private, and used a baby blanket over my shoulder. Nothing fancy. I had regular shirts because I thought the nursing shirts were ugly, but a nursing bra underneath. I sat in the back of the food court, in the nordstroms lounge, in my car, etc ..... I found quiet areas to sit and nurse.  

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I didn't nurse in public at all, I never felt covered enough and was really self conscious.  My MIL thought I was just stupid for it and when I would nurse at home would invite people or herself back to talk to me while I nursed - it got to where I would have to lock the door to feed my child.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I threw a receiving blanket over my shoulder

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I live in Texas and when I nursed my kids i usually wore my nursing shirts and bras. But I also always used a nursing wrap. The wraps were very light and it also made it easier for me when I needed to switch sides.
    Mom0413

Answer by Mom0413 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I gave bottles in public. The only time I nursed in public was in the movies or on an airplane. I went out to my car a few times. If I had to nurse in someone's house I went upstairs and shut the door. I was not comfortable with it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I generally use a blanket when I breastfeed in public. My ydd is only 7 weeks so she is not pulling the balnket yet. When she gets a bit older and moves more I may consider other options.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• i either found a bathroom or did it in the car. i used recieving blankets until someone gave me a wrap. i know someone who has a nice wrap, works wonders, i think it's better than mine, and mine had an opening i could look into and see the baby if i needed to. she works with me and has to feed her baby every 2hrs (2 months old). since i'm in the infant room she comes to my room and does it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2011