Terminating my parental rights....is a thought I've had for some time now.

Before you all begin judging me, just listen first please. I'm facing a difficult time right now, and I don't know which way to turn. My six yr old son, is having a difficult time in school. He's very smart. Academically, I have NO issues. But his behavior, is stressing me and his teachers out. I hear a complaint everyday from his teacher and this is the 2nd one this year. Complaints..are that that he talks too much; gives children answers during tests; leaves his seat and does what he wants; wrestles with kids during lunch time; doesn't listen; loses his focus. I hear one or more of these EVERYday. I'm hurt and angry inside b/c when I ask him why, he says b/c he doesn't listen. His father is present in his life, but see's him every other wknd. He works two jobs and I've expressed to him that I'm growing bitter towards our son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• These are things that can be solved. Don't give up on your son. Every Mom gets frustrated and feels overwhelmed. It sounds like you are there right now. Don't ask him why he's acting that way because at this age...he really doesn't know. All he's doing is acting out to get attention. Yes, it's negative attention but it's attention none the less. Talk with his teacher and maybe together you two can work something out for your son. All it takes is creative parenting. You did the right thing in posting this question. There are so many great Mom's on here with great ideas. Don't give up and stay strong Mom.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• do you have any other help? Your son sounds alot like my 6year old little guy. alot of it is probably due to the bouncing around. Also have him checked for adhd i didnt think my son had it till i did research and then we saw a dr and he does he just find its hard to listen and pay attention. We dont medicate him with medication he goes to special classes and is given some all natural calming agents to help. he seems to be doing better. stay patient it will pass in time.
    Anonymous

• Talk to someone. Now. You need to work through your own emotions regarding how you feel toward your son so you can figure out how to work on his behavior. No child is hopeless. Some just take more work than others. Resentment can happen. The feeling itself does not make you a terrible person. Giving up, however is something you will never forgive yourself for because as angry as you may feel now, if he is ever gone from your life you will never recover from the guilt of having given up.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Ok I am usually A very understanding compassionate person but I just can not be that way with this. I have 3 kids ages 9-7 and 2 and you know what, they drive me INSANE but to go as far as to just say I quit , well that is unacceptable! You are his Mother and you are suppose to love him no matter what. If you give up on this little boy now it will stay with him for the rest of his life.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I would recommend speaking with his doctor and possibly getting him evaluated for SPD (sensory processing disorder or ADD. These things are common with each disorder. Sometimes you child can't help acting this way...speak to someone and get help. There is something else going on....don't give up on your child. I have gone though worse things and I have two children under the age of 3yrs and one has specials needs. Each day is a constant battle.
    Crystal2451

Answer by Crystal2451 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Thank you....all of you. I'm going to start some research to find solutions without involving doctors and medicine. I love my son genuinely and I'm not going to give up on him. I'm going to take something from each piece of advice you shared with me. All of you were positive and that helps a lot.
    Anonymous