I know I'm going to get bashed for this...

But my dog has an injured leg and we can't afford to take her to the vet. Last night, she was wrestling with our other dog and since then has been limping around and is barely able to put weight on her right front leg. It's not swollen and she doesn't yelp or whimper when you touch it. She is able to stand on it somewhat, but she limps when she walks.

Is there anything I can do to treat this at home? I know the vet will charge us out the wazoo before he will even LOOK at her. Before everyone bashes me by saying things like "If it was your child, you'd find a way to pay for it!", we have insurance for our children and I've never been to an ER that will make you pay before they even examine you.

So anyway, is there something I can do for her at home? I will ignore any negative comments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Pets

• do you have a low-income vet in your area? i got my cat neutered at the animal coalition in my area for $10. im not sure what you can do for him at home.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I'm going to say that chances are it will get better in a couple days if it's not cut or anything, maybe it's just sprained. Try to keep your dog calm and away from the other one so it can heal. Obviously no jumping off of furniture or anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would make her a splint. Here's what I found online http://www.ehow.com/how_4499973_splint-dog-cat_s-broken-limb.html so she's not putting weight on it and it can heal.  I completely understand about not being able to afford vet bills, so no bashing here.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Im trying to think of your options here. If this was me I would go to our community college and ask them. They have an amazing live stock program, you might check into that. Good luck and Im so sorry this happened to your beloved pet, I know how expensive those vets are
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Like anon says maybe it is a strain. Have the dog it easy for a while. I know that is easier said than done. While the dog is taking it easy maybe call around and see if there are special discounts or something like that/ Good luck. Hope doggie feels better.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• ASPCA treats animals for free if you can't afford it. Shelters charge by what you can pay

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Call your shelter and confirm their payment options first, ours does not charge by what you can afford, they try and make it as low cost as possible, but it's the same fees for everyone.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Thanks everyone for the advice and for not ripping me apart!! I have a friend who lives in another state who is a vet and I emailed her to see what I should do. I wish she lived closer because she would give us a break on vet treatments, maybe even for free. I had to take this same dog to the vet a few years ago for eating a bag of grapes ( I didn't realize the grapes were on the counter where she could get to them.) I had to pay $50 before I could even leave her there and it ended up costing $150 total for them to treat her. Vets charge WAY too much IMO. I understand they need to be paid too, but I think they play on your emotions so they can charge so much. They know people love their pets. They need to work out payment plans with people instead of charging them so much before they even get through the door.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• What they ^^ said. So sorry to hear. =[
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• i am sorry your dog's leg is hurt- you can heat a towel in the dryer & massage his leg with it- that will help loosen his muscles up some-some people do not recommend this but, you can give him a Baby Aspirin for pain- i have a Chi/Yorkie & my vet told me i can give it to her- she has a Bad Leg & is on meds. but, some days are worse than others so, i add the asprin with it- Good Luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2011