Braxton Hicks Contractions?

I feel silly even asking this, because I am in about week 28 of my third pregnancy, but what do braxton hicks contractions feel like?

I don't think I had them with either of my previous pregnancies, but I wonder if some of the things I have been feeling lately could be these sort of contractions. I will get tightening and a little cramping around my sides and back. They aren't regular, and they never last long.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and I have noticed them a lot more with this pregnancy.....I think I really started noticing them about 26 weeks, my stomach just tightens up and I have to lay down to help them go away, just in the last week i've started noticing cramping with them.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Yeppers, sounds like braxton hicks. You will notice them more with each pregnancy and notice that they start earlier sometimes too. I am prego with my fifth and have been feeling them since about 12 weeks. Drink lots of water, keep your bladder empty and put your feet up more ofter. If you haven't hit 37 weeks yet and you're having more than four contractions in an hour — or you have any other signs of preterm labor call your doc.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 10:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Your guess is as good as mine, but since I am 32 weeks, and feeling the same types of things, I figured I'd share that with you. *smile* I get cramping sometimes that lasts for a while, and I just lay there until it goes away. If yours doesn't last long, then you're lucky, cause mine hurts for hours sometimes. Just a dull cramping feeling. I am guessing that any type of tightening like you described, could very well be Braxton Hicks. Especially if it feels like your whole belly is tightening.
    Jesusis4always

Answer by Jesusis4always at 10:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Sounds like that's what they are to me as well. Good luck Momma, you are getting close! HOORAY!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Yep thats what is it, I haven't had any yet but I'm prepared.
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• i have asked this soo many times too and my best friend finally told me the best way she could describe them...labor contractions are more in your back and lower abdomen and are painful(although for her not so much cuz shes a freak of nature) but BH contractions are more in the middle of your abdomen and it feels like a tightening of the muscles but it shouldnt really be painful at all..may be a little uncomfortable but not painful...i have been having them since about week 31 and im on week 36 now...i just thought it was the baby getting stuck in a specific spot that wasnt comfortable for me...now i know and hopefully this helps you out too
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• oh i forgot to mention that with the cramping if it gets painful drink plenty of water :)
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:37 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• There are actually 3 types of contractions when you are in labor. Some women only have one type, some have both, some have all 3. I have had back labor with one. Front labor with two, and with my last I had a combo of back labor, front labor, and lower pelvic floor labor. They are pretty much exactly like what they sound like. Back labor is in your back. It can be a dull ache in your back, or just pain, pain and more pain all felt in your back. Lower pelvic labor is very low in your pelvic area, and front labor feels almost like Braxton Hicks but much worse. Those are the pains that come wrapping around from your sides into the front.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 10:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thanks ladies!! Makes me feel less crazy!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2011