How do you get your LO to sleep through the night?

My son is 5 months old and usually will sleep about 6 hours at a time, about 12 hours a night. Some nights, however, he will wake much more frequently. I don't like to give him a bottle at night (he has gone without one frequently, so he doesn't need it) and we room together so I can't have music on all night (I can sleep then), although I would like to since it does help keep him asleep.
Any ideas? What do you do to keep your baby sleeping all night?

xJasonsMommyx

Asked by xJasonsMommyx at 10:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 hours is good. I do not think babies sleep through the night until around 2 ish. AND going to your little baby when he cries that young is good. It builds trust in your child. It won't be this way forever. Just do your best to enjoy your precious baby.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• At five months, I don't think it is uncommon to give a bottle at night. 12 hours is a long time with no food for a small tummy. I would give anything for my 1 year old to sleep that long, so I guess I don't have any real advice for you, sorry!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:17 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Is he teething? That can negatively affect sleeping patterns.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• IMO, 5 months is still kind of young to be sleeping through the night, especially if he is teething. dd didn't start sleeping through the night until about 10 months and what I would do is let her cry for about 5 minutes and see if she would fall asleep on her own by self soothing. If not, I would rock her for a couple minutes and try again it was a process.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• He already has his two bottom teeth but the tope ones may be starting to come in. I can't tell yet.
    I've tried letting him cry but it breaks my heart. I can't listen to it for more than 30 seconds before I have to come to his rescue.
    xJasonsMommyx

Comment by xJasonsMommyx (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My 5 month old won't go 6 hrs. His ave. is around 5 hours. he'll go to sleep around 8 and take 1 to 2 bottles and then be up again around 7.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2011