Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

We got a letter from the IRS

My husband got a letter from the IRS saying:
We believe there's a miscalculation on your 2010 Form 1040A, which affects thr following area of your return: Exemption amount. We made changes to your return that correct this error. As a result, you are due a refund of $3140.00

We already got our return this year and I thought it was the correct amount. Last year, though, I thought our return was way too low. Is last year's what they are correcting? I don't want this money if it doesn't rightfully belong to us and we get in trouble for accepting it.


Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 21 (10,161 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • you did your taxes this year for 2010. they're saying they gave you too much, if you already got your tax money back. in other words, since you did get it back, they're going to have you give it back.


    is it more than what you already got? if so, then they will give you the rest of what they owe.

    a couple years back this happened to us. they gave me less than what i was supposed to get, i got this letter and i got what i was supposed to get a couple months after i filed. apparently i missed something when i filed, and they caught it.

    Answer by armywife43 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Call them

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Contact your local IRS office and speak with someone directly to make sure that everything is in order. That will give you peace of mind and will ensure that it is not a fraud.

    Answer by Nonoluna at 10:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • If it said 2010, then that is for the taxes you just filed. If they calcuated it and see an error, then why fight it, especially if it's in your favor.

    Answer by SherriPie at 10:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • hard to say without knowing your situation and exemptions... sorry. Bring it into your local VITA rep or IRS consultant.

    Answer by Camilletnt at 10:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • I agree with SherriPie..but I would call and find out why so you do not stress.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 11:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Ugh this is just what I need. We aren't actually married so I can't call myself or I would have already. I'm going to have to nag him about it. That's what I get for letting him do his own taxes. Usually I take are of it.

    Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Where did you have them done? We always have h&r block do them so we dont have to ray about miscalculations. If you did take it to someone, then I'd take the letter to them and see what they say. If he did it online, he is going to have to call and find out what is going on.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • I wouldn't worry too much. Try not to stress, especially if it is MORE than what you were supposed to receive. I have received a similar letter from the state one year, but it was a simple adding mistake on my end. The difference was only $10 or something small. They just issued an additional check for the difference. It was not a big deal.

    Still, to ease your mind....have him call to make sure everything is on the up and up, and you know what to expect.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Sounds like fraud, from what I get you guys claimed married? I would get a lawyer ASAP. Gonna be hard to explain why you claimed married when you are not.

    Nagging won't help, you yourself call him "husband" you are just as guilty.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011