Spending holiday with the inlaws...

We are going to be gone on a working vacation for two weeks before Easter and not returning home until the day before the holiday. After all of that time in the car, I know we are going to need to de-stress and I don't want to go to my MIL's house for Easter (spending time with that family is very stressful). We stayed home for Christmas - but only because she (MIL) invited herself to our house and then changed her mind. She thinks I'm unreasonable because I don't want to go to her house for Easter as well. Oh, and she doesn't just want us to come, she was expecting us to provide a large portion of the dinner (which is why I think she's really upset, not that I don't want to be there). I won't have time to cook and I don't think it's right to cut our vacation short so I can come home and make a dinner for her family. Am I being unreasonable?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 11:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Holidays

• I don't think you are at all.... tell her although you can't spend Easter there....that you will be delighted to do a covered dish celebration of Easter a few weekends from then (everyone can bring a covered dish). Personally here in this house, we don't do "in laws" holidays on the day of the holiday..that is meant for family, and to me the family that matters the most all live under the same roof. If we do decide to celebrate a holiday with our in laws it is a couple days before/after, or possibly even the next weekend. Good Luck to you.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I do not think that you are being unreasonable at all. There is no need for added stress. You do what's best for your family.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• how does your hubby feel? Make a decision with your husband , let HIM handle HIS mother and you and your family enjoy your vacation.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Either stay home, get her to have dinner a different day, or go and pick up a tub of potato salad at the grocery store on your way to her house. Don't let her get you stressed. I know, easier said. LOL
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 1:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You are not being unreasonable. You should in joy your vacation. Don't let her stress you out.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Not at all. My mom suffered with her MIL too. You have a right to do what you need to do, too. It shouldn't be all about her or his family. But I know, easier said than done.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 8:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2011