How can I get my daugther to eat healthy, to eat a good portion?

My daughter is almost two in April... when she was a baby, she would eat fruits and veggies, but now its so hard to get her to eat. She loves oranges, and will eat them... but no veggies, she will eat green beans and corn, sometimes peas... She loves Jello... but anything else... has to be meat for her to eat...How can I change her eating habbits? I would love for her to eat yogurt, more fruits and veggies, and to drink more water. She is addicted to her Milk and Juice. However I water down her juice. Please any advice?!?!

Kandis20

Asked by Kandis20 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• She's fine. I wouldn't take her milk away. It looks like she does eat veggies so she's eating healthy.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Try only have what you want her to eat in the house/fridge. That way you both eat healthy & she sees that mommy eats healthy too.
    When we were young my mom would make dinner & tell us we had to at least have a "no thank you" bite. If we didn't eat our dinner we could make ourselves a pb & j or go to bed hungry. As an adult, I eat & like almost everything :)
    xJasonsMommyx

Answer by xJasonsMommyx at 11:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• This is a tough age for food----don't fight over it----keep healthy snacks available for her----don't start having food fights with her----it can lead to eating disorders----children at this age go thru food stages----as long as you give her a multi vitamin daily-----my oldest would only eat Toastems for about 6 months at that stage----kind of like poptarts ----he outgrew it.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 11:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Slip veggies into smoothies. I add sweet potato,squash,or carrots into my son's usual strawberry,banana and blueberry smoothies. You can't even taste it. Mix with calcium fortified OJ

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• All you can do is keep offering the food that you'd like her to have more of. It's typical to see a drop off on the amount of food consumed as well as limited food choices when children reach 2. Soup is an excellent way for children to consume vegetables without their knowledge. I suggest doing a stew with the meat chunks still there but puree the vegetables into the broth so that's hidden.

It sounds like she's alright but having a child who is an extremely challenging eater (your daughter would be a literal DREAM for me) I do understand how scary it is to think that your child isn't getting enough nutrition. A good multivitamin might put your mind at ease - the best one we have found is Kindervital by Floradix. It comes in a liquid and is safe for 2 years old (and younger) where many multi's aren't (read labels closely).
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 11:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• keep offering. Search for other recipes. My kids love sweet potato french fries. You can also hide them in food by making a paste from carrots, or squash, or sweet potato. Put it in like Mac n cheese, or grilled cheese. You can freeze yogurt, or sprinkle stuff on top like granola. Cut up your fruit like strawberries, bananas, kiwi, apples, pears, manderine oranges... My kids love green beans too. They are easy to eat for little toddlers...how about broccoli ..cut them up. I like to mince up mushrooms so they can not see them, sautee them and make scrambled eggs or omelets. (cooked mushrooms are very high in antioxidants) ...I make fruit smoothies and call it ice cream...You can make with yogurt and frozen raspberries or strawberries, blueberries. Just do not offer anything else...My dr told me if they are chewing them up but spitting out..they are still getting goodness from it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• 18 months is when it they start the turning point of not likeing things. my son doesn't eat anything really, except for hot dogs, pizza, chicken nuggets, fish sticks and, well that's about it. i noticed my dd getting to that point at that age, so instead of giving in and giving her what she wanted like i did with my son (the first kid is always your practice lol) i kept giving her the healthy stuff. now she still eats everything.

just keep offering it to her. that's what i do with my son. i cook what i cook, i don't make a different meal for him. if he doesn't eat, then he goes to bed hungry. they'll eat when they're hungry. you just gotta keep offering. since he doesn't eat, we make him eat one bite of everything on his plate, and once a week we have a pizza night. we make our own pizza and i hide veggies inside. also i give them both V8 Fusion juice. also eating as a family has been proven that kids eat healthier.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Just keep offering those healthy foods and make sure she sees you eating healthy foods too. Kids who suddenly become "picky" aren't usually trying to be difficult. Their taste buds go through changes a few times while they are growing and their food preferences change for a while, but it's temporary. Both of my kids went through those phases a couple of times but went back to eating normally once they adjusted. I honestly didn't fully appreciate that until I was pregnant with my second child though. MY tastes change temporarily during that pregnancy. Everything tasted too something - salty, sweet, bland, etc. Nothing tasted like it was supposed to and I couldn't stand some of my favorite foods. It was aweful! I could totally empathize with my kids' food issues after that!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• One more thing...in general, I don't agree with "hiding" veggies in other foods, but I think at times like this it's a reasonable temporary solution. You can add pureed or shredded veggies to a lot of foods - meatloaf, burgers, breads, muffins, soups, etc. You could also try serving foods in new ways. She may not like chunky broccoli soup, for example, but might like it pureed. Or she may not like plain veggies but might like them with dip or sauce. Both of my kids would drink smoothies and pureed soups during food jags. You can even add some raw greens to a fruit smoothie and it won't alter the taste. To help her drink more water you could slowly water down her juices more and more. You could also serve her watery foods like juicy fruits, herbal teas, and broth based soups.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Puree veggies into a kind of sauce and uses it as a dip for chicken nuggets, then dip the chicken in egg, flour, veggie sauce and back into egg, flour breadcrumbs. She'll never know!

Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2011