3 yr old possible hearing problem

my dd is now 3 but has had ear problems since birth. at 1 we had skin tage removed that had grown so deep it was affecting her hearing, then a few months after her 2nd bday she got her tubes put in...we know she can hear when both ears work together but has trouble if you speak to just one side of her...like she is turned away or something like that. i noticed this morning though that she watches my lips as i talk, and i of course watched her more and realized she looks at everyones lips when they talk. could she be lip reading? Monday i will call the ENT and make an appointment but i wanted to hear what you ladies think.

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 11:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like she may be trying to lip read. Has she had her hearing checked by an audiologist lately? If not, a thorough hearing evaluation sounds like it is needed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My grandson had that problem. Once the tubes were in he could do better. Then one of them fell out and he had some problems again. The ENT fixed it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Many people hear better when they can see the other person's mouth moving. You can see the shape and form of the words as they're coming out.

IF your granddaughter IS hearing impaired I very strongly suggest you look into learning, and teaching her, sign language. It is a beautifully expressive language with LOTS of room for communication. I stopped taking classes when my daughter was born 4 years ago and I STILL use signing to help me convey my point when I'm talking. I am NOT a fan of the cochlear implant, which you may or may not, have suggested to you. I've heard deaf people talking that had the implant. They sound like robots.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• not since 2009...when she got her tubes you could visibly tell the difference in her...it was amazing to watch....she was sitting ont he front porch swing with her daddy listening to sounds she had never heard before...i voiced my concerns to her dr and to the audiologist but it was a wait and see thing...wait for the tubes to come out and see what her hearing does.
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2011