Dyslexia

How can I tell if my dd is dyslexic? Her bio dad i, as well as a few others on his side of the family. My oldest brother is and so are a few cousins. I know it's not a death sentence anymore...i know it just means a different style of learning and more paitence which is fine. I am just curious if it's possible to knwo if she is dyslexic at only 3 or is it something we have to wait to know...she write her letters and numbers backwrds and well as saying a lot of words in a n odd way(pillow is lowpill) Just curious is all...could be nothing but hey its nice to know some things ahead of time...

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 11:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know when they would start looking for signs of dyslexia but the things you mentioned are all pretty normal for the age so far. I would *think* end of K/first grade or so when they really start reading and writing daily.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• my son is in kindergarten and they wont even test til 2nd grade, once the reading fundamentals are in place. some "backwardsing" is normal and expected.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Likelihood is very good. I'd bring it up with her doctor.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Some of my family members have dyslexia as well, and I've noticed a few 'signs' with my DD, but it actually turned out to be normal for a child her age. I'd talk to her teacher, because there will be TONS of signs if she is indeed dyslexic. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• my kid is 7 and still writes her numbers and lettes backwards. talk to your pediatrician
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2011