Do you agree?

If history teaches us one thing, it is this: Empires tend to crumble from the inside. If history teaches us two things, it is that very few people ever see it coming.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 12:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• yes
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Yes. I agree.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I do agree, but I think we saw this coming. The silent majority just stayed silent too long. They should have stood up and shouted during the Carter administration if not before.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Well, yes, we are really doing quite a delicate balancing act right now...this huge amount of debt, the huge amount of obligations.

It doesn't bode well. My husband teases me about the amount of basics I like to keep on hand- thank Heavens for a dry basement- but I'm convinced one day we are going to wake up and things are not going to be the same. The US could collapse under the weight of it's debts, or we could turn it around.

Either way, we are prepared for storm, electrical outage, or collapse of the economy.

And no, I don't keep a tin foil hat. Just lots of dried goods, rotated carefully.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Sure do!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Not necessarily, no I don't agree 100%. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I think there are always warning signs. It's just that it's not in the best interest of those in power to change things. Things are so different now with freedom of information and an educated populace that I wonder if the 'collapse of empires' today won't follow the same pattern or happen as entirely as it has in the past.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I absolutely agree and count myself among those who see it coming.

Lovin, I'm glad the DH doesn't tease me about how much is here (and I'd bet that yours may tease because he's proud of you) ... and grateful that he actively works with me to make sure that it is here. Even if the worst we deal with in our lifetime is another bad hurricane, we're ready for it and won't need assistance. If far worse happens and all assistance is gone, we're ready for that as well ~ and knowing that is better than any insurance. It's peace of mind.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Agree!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree!

I am going to make the soup kitchen, food bank and St Vincent de Paul very happy shortly before we move. We have a LOT of food stored. There is no way I am moving it!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2011