Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lemon car? What can we do ?

2 weeks ago we traded in our 2006 chevy malibu ( in great condition) at the same place we bought it at -- we traded it in for a 2005 ford freestyle ( extra seating) ....

In the last 2 weeks we have has several problems with it.... first we found out the tires were the wrong size and they rubbed whenever we turned - we had to get that fixed.

Now the car wont start at all... it isnt the battery ( everything else turns on it just wont start at all, it wont even make the sound like it is trying to ) ...

we have tried to call the dealership but of course no one is there.... this is our only vehicle so now my husband is worried about how he will get to work ...

Anyways... are we able to take it back and atleast get our car back ( it hasnt sold yet ) or atleast the value or just something -- we also put $1000 down....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • Check with the dealer and read through your sales contract thoroughly to determine your options and protection. I really hope you are protected and can either get these problems fixed without cost to you or can get your former car back or a different one. Best of luck!

    Answer by Nonoluna at 12:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • I know in my state we have lemon laws to cover things like this, Im pretty sure they have it everywhere.

    Answer by beyondhopes at 12:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • We had this problem a few years ago. We had the runaround, it was horrible. The dealership told us we should have checked everything and since it was considered 'as is' we were going to have to deal. After threatening the dealership with calling the BBB, they finally allowed us to get a different car. And they were still rude and acted like they were doing us a favor. So we still wrote a complaint letter.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • If the car was sold "as it", you probably have no recourse. I would check with the state's attorney's office, or a local consumer protection agency

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • UPDATE :

    It was sold as "as is" .... but my husband told them that since he has purchased every car he has ever had there ( and planned on doing so again if this car hadnt gave us troble since the others havent) and that his parents and both of his brothers also use this dealership... and that if they couldnt fix their mistake then they would no longer have any of our buisness ( when we had trouble with the tires and had it looked at they said they could tell it was wrecked before, and even though we asked for the carfax and actaully asked if it has ever been in an accident and they said no and now we have proof that it was) ...

    Anyways he talked to them for about 20 mintues and now they car coming to tow it on Monday, give us a rental and fix what is wrong with it ( or give us another if damage exceeds the worth) and they will pay for it all .. We are so happy and now I am glad that sometimes my husband is mouthy lol

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • found on road dead

    Answer by smiley745 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.