Either you have a law or you don't. laws should have no exceptions and should be followed by everyone!!!

shruggingin Texas businesses can't hire illegal immigrants, any business owner who hires an illegal imm. could face 2 yrs in prison BUT a family could hire an illegal nanny. really??

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If you are talking the letter of the law, a family is not a business. Perhaps the wording of the law needs to be changed to keep it fair for all.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• makes no sense to me.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• A business can afford to make background and immigration status check on all their prospective employees. Can you?

***
    I would not hire anyone to take care of my property or my children if I could not prove their legal status!! A simple phone call to verify the state issued ID and call to the social security administration would be all that is necessary...of course along with your God-given common sense!!

And to hire a LEGITIMATE Nanny, I would only go through a well-established Au-Pair Service...I would NOT put an ad in the paper, and take the first person who showed up at my door!! Wow!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Depends on the law. The law you cite, yes it should apply to everyone. But, as someone else point out, the wording leaves it open. If they want it to apply to families as well, then they should change the wording to say something like "an illegal immigrant may not be employed in any job in the state, and that anyone who hires them is subject to 2 years in prison."

I've noticed that about a lot of laws - they are worded in such a way that even though you would look at them and say, "Well, it should apply this way" it doesn't. I've talked to people who claim that they worded them that way to avoid confusion and be as clear as possible, but frankly I wonder sometimes if that's true, or if they in fact worded them that way so as to provide little loopholes that might not be super obvious at first glance.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• That sounds about right. Businesses have access to resources from the gov. to help them determine status.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• There are all kinds of laws on the books which are not enforced .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• we had a live in housekeeper who also served as my nanny. She was illegal. I loved that woman, she was like my second mother. Anyway, after a while, my mom was able to sponsor her and she became legal. Maybe some of those families want to do the same.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 4:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2011