Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Court papers..

I got two sets of court papers yesterday. One in my mailbox one in my door. They are both the exact same thing but neither was served TO me. They are from my landlord. I'm in new york, he is in north carolina. He's been having a woman up here manage his properties. I called him about the papers and he has no idea what is going on so this woman is trying to sue me without him knowing BUT she's using his name to do so. Now, there papers have no docket number, no seal, no signature from a clerk or judge. The only signature is from this womans attorney. I had the police look at there papers and they say they don't look REAL for many reasons and she's probably tryin scare me into moving but never told me what i can do about this. What can happen to her based on all the information i've provided in this question?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • Did you discuss your options with the police? You probably need to contact a lawyer to verify that these papers are false, collect statements from your landlord, find out if she is doing this to any other tenants and find out what you can do legally to have her charged.

    Answer by Nonoluna at 1:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • I forgot to mention she is bringing me to court for rent i've already paid and i have receipts.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • If they are real, she only has to go to the residence and if you aren't there, she has to place the notice on your door, and mail you one. If it is an eviction notice for failure to pay rent, it doesn't come from the court. If you don't pay by the time period that was specified, you will then be served papers from the court, and you will go probably within two weeks.

    If you paid the rent and have receipts, I would contact the woman and state that you paid the rent, and you have a receipt. If she manages many properties, it may be a mistake. If she disputes it, I would contact your landlord again. Worst case scenario for you, is you get a lawyer and go to court. If you paid your rent and have proof, she has to pay your attorney fees.

    Answer by twin_mommy at 1:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Just wait until the Court serves you with papers to appear for Eviction. Take your receipts.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Contact your community's renters' rights office

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • you should probably get a lawyer. contact me if you dont qualify for a free lawyer. We have affordable legal plans. Just want to add yu should probably find someone to help you out before anthing actually happens, I would imagine what she is doing is mischieve.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

  • Maybe she had the wrong door LOL. Does it actually have a court date on it? I'd call and get a free consultation from a lawyer.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.