Do you think the child of 2 illegal immigrants should automatically become a US citizen ?

stick out tongue miniby law if you are born in the USA you are a citizen but in your opinion should they be citizens? This would not fly in some other countries. some countries do not accept anchor babies.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes on the child because they are innocent- but it does bug me when parents use their children's citizenship as a bargaining chip- they sometimes end up on the news saying "The US wants to deport me but not my child and I don't want to leave my child" When the real story is- the child is free to go with the parent- the US does not detain its own citizens unless they are accused of a crime-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I think that it was something added to our constitution that others have found a way to capitilize on.

IMO, No, if they come here pregnant, they must become citizens before their child can be considered one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Well, isn't that how we all became citizens pretty much? I mean in the late 1700s my family moved from Germany to the US and all of us that have been born thereafter are US citizens.
    I have a friend who is a citizen of both Ireland and the USA. His parents were on vacation in Ireland and his mom went into early labor. I have another friend who had citizenship in both England and USA. Her parents are missionaries in England and that is where she was born. When she turned 21 she had to pick a country, that is England's law. So, yes, in other countries it does happen.
    Anonymous

• Thats a really difficult question. If the child is born here, according to law, its a U.S. Citizen. The real problem is that the parents come here illegally, have a child here and then stay because their child is a citizen...whether or not they work to support said child. The child being a citizen makes it eligible or all kinds of aide, which basically means the parents receive aide. Not all come here illegally with the idea of having their child born here but some do and some do take full advantage of the system that seems to over-look their illegal status because of their child. If the family was deported, the child could, as an adult and a U.S. citizen come back. No one wants to see a child born here, sent back to S.America, Mexico or wherever, but on the other hand, this country cannot afford to continue to "look the other way". Something needs to be done, unfortunatly no matter what is done, many will be upset about it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• The goes for if they are here when they get pregnant too.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree with tnm786. Its not the UNBORN babies fault that it's parents came to the united states illegaly. Its not like it crawled out of its moms va-jay-jay dragged her to The U.S.A. and that crawled right back up there. And in No difference from you and I it will be Born and Raised in America. Thats just my opinion.
    JordonMichelle

Answer by JordonMichelle at 1:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• No, I think that they all should be sent to whatever country they are from.
    Anonymous

• I think we should do like other countries making the babies the citizen of the country of the parents' citizenship
    Anonymous

• The 14th Amendment was put into place to ensure the citizen rights of former slaves. The rest of us were granted citizenship by the states ratifying the Constitution.
    I doubt that our forefathers would have foreseen the need to write the 14th Amendment in a way that would not grant citizenship to the offspring of illegal immigrants.
    I have no problem with immigration. As it says on the Statue of Liberty--"Bring us your tired, your poor" But come to us legally. I think we should focus more on the issue of illegal immigration rather then what the 14th Amendment says.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Not if doing so allows criminals (illegals) to remain here and profit on the backs of their children. That is legalized child abuse.

Either tell the parents to get out and take their American child with them until s/he is of age, or give them a certificate of live birth to file in their home country and deport them.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2011