Car or plane?

Next summer when my son is around 11 months we'll be traveling from CT to OK for a family reunion. Do you think it would be easier on him (and us) to drive or fly?

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 3:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We have tried both. Flying my poor sons ears started hurting on take-off and landing :( And it was a major hassle to fly with a baby.
    We prefer driving now. We go visit family every couple months and they live 12 hours away, we drive it straight through and my 9 month old does great. We drive at night so that he sleeps most of the trip! And we have found that he LOVES the mirror that you can put on the backseat, and it is nice for you too, because then you can see him! Also, it is really hard to change a baby's diaper on a plane, but on the road, you have the convenience of stopping at rest areas or gas stations.
    So, in my opinion, as someone who has tried both, I would recommend driving hands down, especially like I said, if you can travel at night, he will probably sleep most of the way :) Hope this was helpful! Good luck on your trip!
    blu_jeenz

Answer by blu_jeenz at 9:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yikes, that's a tough one. That is a LONG drive, exhausting in itself....however, flying can have adverse affects as well. My sister drove from Virginia to Minnesota with her three kids, 3, 1 1/2, and 3 months and did just fine. The DVD player in their minivan was key to that, though!

Driving allows you to pack more, whereas flying you'll need to check almost everything you need (which is pretty costly nowadays!). You'll also need to make sure you have everything you need for ground transportation once you arrive (like the ability to put your carseat into a vehicle safely).

Yikes, so much to think about! This is probably a good time to make a Pro/Con list!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• depends on the child. does he like watching tv? probably easier to fly.
    Anonymous

• I would probably drive but keep your son well entertained with movies or music and also this way he'll kinda get to travel and sight see some places. Take lots of pictures.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2008