Male cat and odd behavior

The last few days my male cat, about 11 months old, has been meowing, very very loudly, non-stop. This is extremely out of character for him, normally he doesn't meow at all, and will growl at the dog if she's annoying him. At first I ignored it, let him outside when he was getting on my last nerve. (he's an indoor/outdoor cat) But then I noticed he seems to have stopped sleeping. When he's outside he hides in the bushes meowing/almost moaning very loudly. When he's inside he sits at the door meowing very loudly until we let him out. Even in the middle of the night. Normally he sleeps with me, but the last couple nights he falls asleep for like 5 minutes, just to jerk himself awake and start the incessant meowing. He's still eating, and as lovable as ever, but he's driving me nuts! Any idea what's wrong with him? Our vet. office isn't open on weekends, so I have to wait till Mon. to call them.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Pets

• could be uti or bladder cystals. i had a cat that all of a sudden did this and then after a few days i noticed alot of blood in his urine turned out he had bladder crystals. took him to the vet and they did what they could and needless to say he got out of the house after a few days and never did see him again.
    but just to give you some hope if he isnt neutered it could be that he might be on the prowl.
    but first thing monday i would get him into the vet to check him out.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• UTI?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree that if he isn't neutered, he probably smells a female in heat nearby and everytime you let him out he is probably going to her. Please, either get him neutered and/or keep him inside. Besides him going out looking for a mate and adding more unwanted cats to the problem, it is very dangerous outside for cats!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If he's not neutered, I may have something to do with it. I would definitely call the vet first thing Monday because it can also be a signal of illness or distress.
    My cat started "yowling" like that all the time when he started getting senile and having kidney problems (which obviously wouldn't be the case with your 11-month old cat, but still could be other issues).
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Is he fixed?? He could be in heat!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2011