How many times a day should a 2 year old brush their teeth?

my daughter is 2 years old and she loves to brush her teeth so i (help her brush her teeth) let her brush her teeth in the morning when she gets up and in the night time before bed..i have heard people say if you let them brush there teeth too much it wont be good for them..what do you ladies think?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 1:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why would a toddler brushing twice a day be bad? It's how often dentists say to brush your teeth.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I have never heard that. My kids brush 3 times a day. After breakfast, nap time, and bed time. If they are using the soft bristles and the childrens toothpaste, I don't see how it could do any harm.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Twice a day definitely isn't "too much" in my opinion.  I think that's pretty much normal.  I brush all of my kids teeth 3 times a day.  Once after breakfast, once after lunch, and once right before bed. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I've never heard of brushing your teeth too much unless your brushing really hard and brush the enamel off....I figure twice is probably great but if you want to brush after every meal (especially if she had something sweet) thats even better.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• personally i dont see any harm in it. if she likes to brush more than two times a day just giver her a toothbrush without any paste on it. that way she doesnt gett too much foride. mine love to brush their teeth too and if i let them would sit in the bathroom all day with a toothbrush.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Sounds good to me, most people brush at morning and night. Too much is every couple hours, or more then 4-5 times a day. And that has the opposite effect on good oral hygiene. The key to everything is moderation.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Twice a day is good for everyone.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• When she wakes up, after every meal and before bed. They make tootpaste gentle enough for little ones teeth and use a soft bristled tooth brush.
    Anonymous

• I would think 2-3 times a day is enough. We usually do morning, after lunch/before nap time, and after dinner/before bedtime. Rinsing with water (or just drinking plenty of water throughout the day) in between meals can help them too. If they brush too hard or too often, it can weaken enamel. I used to brush too much and too hard, and I have a slight problem with thinning enamel on a couple of my teeth. Nothing major, but I try to be careful of it now. Brushing too seldom or not thoroughly enough, you get cavities though. Moderation is the key (and brushing thoroughly but not with too much pressure). So, a few times a day is probably best.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011