How does everyone feel about the governments decision to make education cuts?

Palatino3

Asked by Palatino3 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• scared! If they cut my son's special education,I don't know what we're going to do!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If they cannot come up with the money then they will raise taxes. Here in NY, Taxes are ruining peoples lives. Average property taxes here are $10,000 and up. So where do we as individuals get money? Do school Administrators need to make over $100,000 per year?? There is something very wrong that needs to be addressed.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I'm sure there are places in the education budget that could be cut...just like with all other sectors. Let's hope it's some admin costs and not teachers, although the most expensive part of any budget is labor. My Co is holding an emergency mandatory meeting (s) in 2 weeks...I am sure there will be layoffs announced. I am a nurse.......We have open positions and the budget is being met...that is NO longer good enough. EVERYONE will be affected. God, I wonder when all those jobs that those tax cuts were suppose to spawn are going to appear?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• This, and other reasons, is why my DD is going to private schools.
    It sickens me that the govt can justify taking educatipn away from our children.. Our kids are the ones who will take over when we arre gone, dont we want smarter and more capable people in the world?
    Absolutely horrible...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• What I want to know is where has the money from the so-called education lotteries gone? NC has claimed that since the inception of the lotteries, there has been over $1.7 Billion raised. What happened to it?

Education is the key to the future. Cuts should be made in less important places, such as politician's salaries and ridiculous grants funding "research" into how long it take a snail to cross the state of Texas!

No wonder the US lags behind the rest of the world in education. F*cking idiots in Washington/state capitals!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• NC has claimed that since the inception of the lotteries, there has been over $1.7 Billion raised. What happened to it?

At least they have earmarked it for education- here in CO its for parks and recreation which is great but they have so much money from lotto that they have to come up with projects to spend it-yet when education asked for some they said-no, that would be against the law-I agree with you-idiots making stupid decisions!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• For me it depends what are they cutting? I think they should cut some wages first of the head honchos who have run the schools into the ground. Our school district super intendant makes $100k a yr. Some of our (crappy) principles make $80k. Mind you those crappy ones are running schools who dont even pass EOG tests year to year, so why $80k a yr? For that Im all for making them actually earn their keep.
    Anything else, well no.
    As for NC I live here and that money has gone to build more schools mostly. Thats fine and all but if we cant afford the schools we already have then I dont get it.

Answer by gemgem at 2:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• They are only cutting it by the government definition of a cut. It is still getting more money, just not as much as anticipated.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Honestly, I teach in a public school, but home school my own children. While most of the time, teachers I know think very practically and do without a lot of the niceties, some of the other spending can get ridiculous. People start scrapping for money, trying to figure out how they can keep everything they have in their department, instead of thinking about what they can truly do without.

Update ONE computer lab each year...not EVERY lab.
    Use uniforms one more year
    Utilize the technology you HAVE
    Share resources.
    Cut utility costs everywhere you can.

It seems that a lot of practical ideas come from employees, but are shot down by those who feel like they're losing something.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It is a sad decision as investment in education is an investment in the future and the US is already losing out in the international league table of education quality .

The tax cuts will not spawn jobs unless there is an increase in demand for goods and sevices . Very unlikely given the layoffs which will result from sizeable expenditure cuts .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011