During the week my son who is 6 years old requires a lot of attention and when the weekend comes all I want to do is rest because I'm tired,I'm sorry but my child is driving me crazy because he disrespects when he doesn't get what he wants and that's the kind of kid that nobody wants to do anything with,how can I change this way of thinking about my kid?

momuv2933

Asked by momuv2933 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What are you doing to put an end to his disrespecting? You have to make him to know that the consequences for being disrespectful to you or to anyone else are going to be painful, and you have to see to it that he experiences that pain. Six is a little late to start teaching that, but it is not too late. You must get a handle on it today, because you've already seen the results of allowing him to do as he pleases. You are right in that nobody is going to want to be around him. If his own mother doesn't, how can you expect anyone else to want to? Parenting is about training, and your boy needs to be trained in the proper ways of treating others, starting with his own mother. So get yourself an instrument of discipline, and put an end to this now. The teen years will be here before you can turn around, and unless you teach him that he must respect others, your life is going to become very miserable in a few short years.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• He sounds like about every other 5-6 yr old I see in dds kindergarten class. I wouldnt beat yourself up. My dd is hard to take, just today I was about to lose it in the video store because she was misbehaving. Just remember this time is going to pass and then he will be bigger and you might actually look back and say wow remember when? I do that with my older kids, one has kids and she complains about her 2 yr old and she acts like she did as a 2 yr old. I can now bring it up and tell her lol you were the same way.

Answer by gemgem at 2:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I'm a little confused. Is he in school during the week or do you home school him? How is your week-end different. Is your DH or SO there to help? I think his behavior has to change in order for your thinking to change. You don't seem the type that is just trying to ignore his behavior, but what kind of disrespecting is he doing, and what do you do about it? It's obvious you're having a difficult time. Give us more information, and some here can probably give some ideas.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• The only reason he would be disrespecting you is if you allowed him to do that. Have you tried time-outs? You have to be consistent. Every time he gets up from time-out you need to place him back into time out. Eventually he will wear out and see that you mean what you say and he will then see you are in control. It is not so much the time spent in time out but that you have the control. Once you have him in time out get down to his level and tell him why he is in time out. Before letting him up, end with a hug. Have you tried a behavioral chart? Putting stickers on good behavior days. Letting him see earning a sticker leads to rewards. A reward could be a day at the playground. Praise him for good behavior. Hopefully with time he will want the positive reaction from you instead of the negative. Sometimes simple outside activities can help-Maybe put him in soccer or baseball. This will teach him to listen.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Define disrespects. It's possible he's just having a hard time communicating.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2011