How can I get eye drops in a 2 year old?

Hi Moms,

I am in need of advice. My son is sick, :( Part of what's going on is conjunctavitis, so I need to put some drops in his eyes.

This morning, he (2 years) was absolutely against me doing that, and I had to hold him down to put them in. He was soooooooooooo mad at me, he told me to go away forever and he took 30 minutes to calm down . . . telling me I didn't love him. It was so sad for me, I cried along with him. I hate having to hold them down to force meds.

Do any of you have any advice or tricks regarding medicine or eye drops? Any advice would be soooooooooo helpful!

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 2:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• The ideas of closed eyes or while he is sleeping is great. Also, the drops could be stinging his eyes. Put the drops in the fridge, it helps take the sting out of the drops.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I always told them the truth. "This medicine is going to help your eyes feel better. It will feel funny in your eye at first, but I promise you it will help". I've never had a problem with either of my kids and taking meds.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• lay him down in your lap and have him close his eyes. Put the drops in the inside corner of his closed eyes and then have him 'blink' them in. Bribery works well in conjunction with this method... IME
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• you will still probably have to hold him, but what you can do is tell him to close his eyes, and drop it right into the corner of his eye and tell him to open it. the drop will automatically go in. sorry =( my 4 year old hates eye drops also and over the years she's gotten better about letting me do it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I also read in a nurses' magazine one time to put them in when the child is asleep. I do it at naptime at PreK now. They might blink, complain for a minute, but if they were truly asleep, it works like magic! Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Hope it works!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Do it while he is asleep. Or get someone else to help you or do it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Do it while he sleeps! Works for me!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That's awesome . . . I never would of thought of doing that . . . a thousand thanks!
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I am so glad I asked. Thanks so much for helping mommies!
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2011