My daughters lips turn blue but she is still breathing.

my daughter is four days old and sometimes when i feed her she kind of gags and then her lips turn a light blue and she is still breathing but its shallow and i instantly freak out, i rub and pat her back and hold her upright. she starts to move and breath normal after a couple of seconds. i am just wondering if this is normal or not she has her first doc  appt in. five days. should i take her in to the er or wait til her appt? this is also my third child i have never experienced this with the other two.

Savannah B.

Asked by Savannah B. at 3:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take her to the er,,,just to be safe. I have never heard of this before and I didnt expierence this with either of my kids. At least call your dr hon,,,good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would call the doctor ... they should have an answering service ... they'll let you know what to do.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Is she breastfed or bottle fed? If its bottle fed, do you have the right nipple (slow) on the bottle? If that's not the issue, definitely contact your doctor.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• the blueness indicates a lack of oxygen getting to her tissues. It could be caused by the gagging during feeds, but absolutely call the doc to see when he/she wants to see her. Good luck and hugs to you!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Call the doctor on call at the nearest hospital, or maybe take her to a walk in clinic. It could be from the gagging, but it could also be a sign of a chronic condition that needs care.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would call the doctor today.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• call dr NOW
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2011