Childhood obesity

http://hive.slate.com/hive/time-to-trim/article/which-states-have-the-most-obese-children?gt1=38001#add-comment

What are your opinions on why many of the southern states have a much higher rate of childhood obesity than other states? I read a few of the comments. Many of the people say it's because those states are also the states with the highest level of poverty, but I don't think that is 100% the reason because I grew up in Texas and we didn't have much money but we still managed to put healthy, fresh food on the table. I saw a few people saying it's because fast food is cheaper than healthy foods. That is also not necessarily true because I could go feed my family for $10 at McDonalds (family of 5) but that is not a lot of food for a family, and for that same $10 at the grocery store I could get a whole chicken, bag of potatoes and bag of frozen (not canned) green beans and make a completely healthy meal.Some people say time is the issue, not having enough time to cook at home. That I understand a LITTLE more, but it's pretty easy to throw some stuff in a crock pot in the morning and come home to a stew in the evening too. I think that it's a combination of culture (the south tends more toward heavy, fried, fatty foods and the north tends more towards fresh, local produce and lean meats), and activity levels (a lot of the kids I know now in Texas can't get out to do much in the summer because it's unbearably hot but here in WA kids are out year round playing).

WHat are your opinions?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not sure. We live in Washington state and I hardly see any overweight kids in our neighborhood. Around here kids still spend their entire days outside running around and playing. They get plenty of exercise where, in other parts of the country, they are locked up in their houses for safety reasons only exercising with the Wii, when their mother's have time to sit for an hour and watch them play in their yard or during organized sports where they stand around waiting for their turn more then run around. I'm obese but my 4 kids are skinny as heck. I refuse to let them fall into the same eating habits I grew up with and I insist they go outside and run around (not that I have to do much insisting because they like to go out). They come in when it gets dark covered in dirt and utterly exhausted. Just like all their friends. 3 of them passed out on the couch watching a movie last night.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• it's because most ppl like to eat garbage. they like everything deep fried. thats the reason why noth just the south but 60% of American is obese, because ppl choose to eat garbage because they like it
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Soda, kids meals, fattening snacks. Some parents out there allow their kids to eat whatever they want to.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with you 100%
    Even if you go to mcdonalds, you don't have to get fries, they have apples.
    I teach my kids about eating and living a healthy lifestyle. We do eat junkfood sometimes but thats all it is!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Some of it is genetic because I am a bigger person but my son is thin and we live in the south.

bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think technology plays a big part in this epidemic. Children are plugged in for hours, not much physical activity, and the food choices tend to be overly processed, quick and easy foods.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 4:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• There are many variables to consider - cultural norms, poverty, access to adequate healthcare, special marketing by manufacturers of high calorie/high fat products (initially, manufacturers actually created the 1 litre bottles of soda to sell in southern markets only), peer pressure to have electronics that keep children sedate, lack of education, etc...You can't point to just one cause.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You can be poor and know about the 4 food groups. I think it is lazy parenting and that is it. I am sorry, but no one forces anyone to go to McDonalds 5 times a week, because it is cheap and easy. A can of chicken noodle soup is cheap and easy too. So are veggies and dip, a banana etc. If you give your kids pop and garbage don't cry they are fat, or get bent out of shape when others call you out on it. As the parent you are in control and responsible. Sadly a lot of times poverty and ignorance go hand in hand, but not always. I don't give a rip about cultural norms...GO OUT AND PLAY! YOU as a parent can put the video games away!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• April, I don't mean you specifically! Speaking in general terms.
    salexander

• It has everything to do with a lazy lifestyle. We do not eat as healthy as we should, my children get more candy and chips than many, however my children are not overweight. They are very healthy. We have home-cooked meals, and we also have junk when I don't have time to cook. However, they are active. We turn off the TV/Video game, and they get outside to run and play and stay fit. I don't allow them to stay plugged into the TV for days at a time.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 1:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011