Lies won't stop

my 5 year old won't stop his lies and we've tried everything we could think of. so if you have any other ideas i would be greatfull and happy to try anything

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well first, I can tell you it is just a phase. He will outgrow it, I am sure of it. I know that does not help you at this point in time with the stiuation. When my son had a bit of a lying streak he was more like 10, my husband made him carry around a note that said "I am a liar, I am not to be trusted. If I know you, chances are I lied to you before. If not I will at some point because everyone is a sucker." He made him carry the note around with him every place we went and before he could talk to people, they had to read his note. Everyone would read it and tell him how awful lying is. He had to do this for a week and I was against it; however, it worked. It snapped him right out of his fibbing phase. Maybe you son is too young, just telling you what worked for mine in the end.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• WEll if you have tried everything, I would suggest speaking with a counselor or something. Bear in mind though that this behaviour is pretty typical fo rhte age and that what he needs is constancy in understanding that that behavior is not accpetable in your house,
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• A lot of kids that age tell lies.. I think for minor stuff it is fairly normal. Now if there are SERIOUS lies, I would be concerned, but a lot of times it is a phase. Just lead by example with honesty and trust and let him know that it is very important to be honest.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• bump
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 3:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011