If you dont believe in spanking, then dont open this..

We use the spanking method, though sometimes i feel like it might be too much, we have done it for a couple yrs now so it has developed into the way our child is handled. I tried doing other things but nothing else works. Good old fashioned spankins seem to be the only choice. I always try to do it as the last resort but he just doesnt listen so usually i have to stay on top of it? at what age does it get better, with their listening and cooperating skills? horrible twos and terrrrribbble 3s here!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We spank as well I have 10, 7 and 5 year old boys and it still isn't better! :) Most of the time when we ask them repeated times to stop something and they continue, we ask them to bend over the couch or the table and we give them a few swats and that straightens them out for a while .
    greenbeanmoma

Answer by greenbeanmoma at 3:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Even though you posted this as for spankers, non spankers will be here soon enough to bash the hell out of anyone who has chosen to spank, lol.  Mine are 5, 3, 18 months, and another due next month.  I am a FIRM believer in spanking.  I definitely found that staying on top of it was the way to go. I think it's confusing for them to get spanked one day for something and the next day not get spanked for the same thing.  Eventually, they get it.  Just here recently my 5 year old has had a serious break through in communication and it's worked WONDERS.  No more spanking!  WHOO HOO~ 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• With my 3 year old, I have been very firm but noticed as she's developing into her own person that she isn't like my son and responds MUCH easier to very low talking.  I am big on respect and it seems she is following suit.  Get loud and ask her to do something, she'll just stare.  Ask her nicely to do something, she'll immediately do it.  So spankings aren't necessary for her. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I know what you mean. Time out seems to be taking an affect though and my child is younger than yours..in the 2 age range. I have noticed that when my child reaches for something that is not meant for little fingers, I give a little bop on the hand and the behavior stops. I dont know how else to correct without spankings when time out doesn't work.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if it ever gets easier to be honest lol. I spank my kids as well and they are3 years and my oldest will be 6 next month and one due in Auguest. I start out by smacking there hand. Then as they get older I go to spanking on the butt my kids will listen for a little bit then they turn around and do it again lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Curiosity killed the cat. :-)
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• But you never bash, lol.  So welcome to our world, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• There are also groups on here for us moms who believe in spanking.  I joined one, pretty awesome.  Plenty of tips and support and advice. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I AM A SINGLE MOM OF AN 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND 9 YEAR OLD SON,AND I BARELY EVER HIT MY DAUGHTER AND SHE IS THE BEST AND MY SON IS NOT GOOD WITH THE SPANKING THING CAUSE PUNISHMENT WORKS BETTER ON HIM...SO I FEEL IF YOU HAVE TO TRY DIFFERENT THINGS WITH YOUR KIDS BECAUSE NOT ALL PUNISHMENTS OR SPANKINGS WORK FOR ALL KIDS.
    lena695

Answer by lena695 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• All I can really say is to be consistant. Set a rule and stick to it. If spankings work for you just remember not to spank when your angry and explain to them why they are getting punished. Don't be a push over, or it will get worse instead of better.
    taximom42

Answer by taximom42 at 2:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2011