Advice on getting a toddler to nap by himself?

My two-year-old will not nap on his own. He will sleep on his own at night but he refuses to nap without me next to him. If I don't lie down with him he will just cry for hours. If he wakes up from a nap and I'm not there he panics.

aviatioNation

Asked by aviatioNation at 3:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I follow the same routine as I do at bedtime-- he gets his favorite stuffed toy, his binky, then we read 2-3 stories while he lays down. The last story is always the same-- How Do I Love You. I then put his blanket over him, kiss him on each cheek, then leave the room. If he gets out of bed, I go in, and without a word, tuck him back in an leave.

It took a few naps, but he's figured out that this means sleep time. He cried hard the first couple of times, but treating it as "business" was the best thing for us because he got the message.

Also, we dont' let him play with his stuffed toy-- Bunny, in his case-- outside of sleep time. So he associates Bunny with his naps and bedtimes. That helps, too.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2011