Rocking baby to sleep

Is it so bad that I rock my 4 month old to sleep eachnight? She takes a bottle, then I rock her for 10 minutes and then into the crib (in her own room) she goes. She sleeps from 830pm to 7am without a peep. My dr., at our 4 month appt today, said I was digging myself a hole by doing this. thoughts?

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 3:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what? psychologists say that you cant spoil a baby under 6 months at all. i think you're just enjoying precious time with her and making sure both of you get some rest. its good for them to learn to put themselves to sleep, but your routine sounds pretty good.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I agree. We did that with my 11m old and she still likes to be rocked in fact she wont go to sleep unless we rock her a pat her on the back at the same time. It sucks. I'm NOT doing that with my new baby.
    Anonymous

• That depends: does your baby put herself to sleep at naptime? If she's able to fall asleep on her own, then I'd keep doing things as you are.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• No.

I still do that with my 1 year old if and when he needs it. You cant spoil a child with love.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• If that's the case, I'm digging myself into a hole also. I do this every night.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• As long as you don't mind doing this for the long haul, it's fine. If you're going to want to stop this as she gets bigger, you might have some problems on your hands.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• So what should I start doing? I give her a bottle, and then just put her in the crib? I assume she'll squirm and cry.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 4:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• thats what I did and then around 6 months I started putting him down awake - there are many methods to putting your baby down to sleep - I would suggest maybe getting a baby sleep book and see which one fits your life and your baby -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• OMG...and so what if you are "spoiling" is all I can say! If 10 mins gets you almost 11 hours of sleeping baby, do what works. Eventually you will have to break the habit, but why rush it! Its not like you'll be able to rock her like that forever, might as well soak it up!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• No it's okay. It's much healthier than letting her cry it out, and maybe she will want to be rocked to sleep for a while, but are you expecting that in fifteen years your teenager will still be asking you to rock her each night?? Probably not, so enjoy it while it lasts :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 6:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2008