What values are important to you?

When you are teaching your children about family values, or any other values... which ones are important to you to teach and model for your children? How do you go about it?

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 3:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• patience,modesty,and empathy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Manners, grammar, obedience. And that education is the foundation of everything you'll need in life to be happy, fulfilled, and eat more steak and less ramen :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Right now our big battle is respect, 'First time' compliance (I shouldn't have to ask more than once)and empathy. My son has High Functioning Autism so these are values we have to work extra hard on because they are sometimes difficult for him. We also try every hard to instill values such as equality, patience, manners and acceptance of people of all colors and abilities.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• LOL@ hibbingmom, steak is a high value in our house too... Honesty, integrity, and empathy would be the big ones. The truth never lead anyone down the wrong path, to mean you're sorry and understand the pain you've caused, instead of just spouting off words. And integrity, because without it I can preach till I'm blue in the face, but until he understands these values are truly needed he's not going to embrace them.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Empathy, obedience, honesty (hopefully as they grow I can add, loyalty, and tolerance to the list)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• There is a long list of good values I would like to teach my child. I would just would like them to know right from wrong over all.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• To value the sanctity of life, even the unborn. To love and worship God, and let Him lead your life. To treat others as you want to be treated. Honesty, humility, kindness, patience.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• all the old fasion ones my grandma taught me. like manners common coursety etc
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Work ethic, respect, loyalty, tolerance, and integrity
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 10:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Kindness and respect. Kids conveniently model whatever they see. Show them what's important to you by behaving the way that you feel is right and they are sure to copy!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2011