Should I be worried?

My son turned 2 in May and he still isn't talking. He can say a few words (mama, dad, doggy, etc.) but he isn't applying them to what they are. He is smart, if I ask him to do something he knows what I'm saying. He is ready to be potty trained, he is always taking his diaper off before he goes, but potty training seems to be impossible if he can't tell me when he needs to go. I had him checked for Autism and they said he was fine, he would talk when he is ready. He babbles as if he thinks he is talking, like if he gets a hold of my cell phone he flips it open and pretends to talk on it. I feel like people look at me like I'm a bad mother because he isn't talking yet. Has anyone gone through this? Should I be concerned? If he isn't talking by November I am getting a Speech Pathologist for him. Is that smart? Or does he just want Mommy to do everything for him?

annak4404

Asked by annak4404 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why don't you teach him to sign a little, so he can use thoes words to help him potty train. ANd don't worry! All kids talk at different times.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 10:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Hun, my daughter turned 2 in May as well and she doesn't talk much at all. She babbles too. It's ok. It sounds like he's your first baby? I have 3. They all do this. There's no need to rush the talking. As long as he has a way of communicating with you, then it's ok.

Potty training usually doesn't happen until closer to 3 years old with boys in my experiences. This was the same for my friends too. Give him some time :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My niece turned 2 in November, so she is 2 years and 7 months...she still babbles. Her doc isn't concerned, and though her progress is slow, she is making progress. She is highly intelligent, she just is taking her time speech wise. Be patient and alert and your son will be just fine. He isn't alone.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• He is babbling and saying Mamma, dadda, and imitating you and your cell phone. He is smart. Do not worry about other parents. He just may do it on his own time and may be perfectly comfortable with what he says now.. My suggestion would be to talk to him constantly. Talk about what you are cooking in the kitchen (example: I am cutting up orange carrots into little squares for us to eat for lunch..Yummy), how you wash the dishes ( these dishes are so dirty so I wash them with bubbles to keep them clean..we want to eat off of clean dishes.), set the table, fold the laundry, just talk about everything you are doing. Read lots of books to him. Talk talk talk to him. Soon he will be talking non stop...:)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• He might have what is called Developmental Apraxia. My son has DAS (Developmental Apraxia) and he is doing just fine now. He had to go through therapy for about a year. He still has some trouble but nothing that mild speech therapy isn't fixing. I taught him lots of sign language and he did GREAT! Here's a web site about DAS.

www.tayloredmktg.com/dyspraxia/das.shtml#what
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 12:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have learned that you can not worry what everybody else thinks. My daughter babbled till she was almost 3 and she finally took off talking. Sign language is a very good teaching tool. It helps the child to communicate but it also helps the child learn to associate the word. My 27 mos old is autistic and they have been teaching him sign language for 8 mos now and it has really helped him. You can go on You Tube and type in sign language and it will show you actual footage of people doing the hand movements. I think it's a lot easier to do if you actually see someone doing it. Try not to worry sounds like your child will be just fine and stop wprrying what everyone is thinking about you as a parent :)
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I agree with the sign language idea. My DD is almost 2 and without signs, I wouldn't have a CLUE about most of what she says. There are some good baby videos called "My Baby Can Talk" - you might be able to check them out of your library or find them cheap on ebay.

If you are still concerned about his speech in a few more months, contact your local school distrist. They may be able to put you in touch with someone to do a proper child development evaluation. If you are in California, look up the "First 5" program - you can get a free eval from them any time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I agree with the other answers. My son is 20 months old and still babbles a lot. I understand how you feel...people keep trying to tell me that I doing things wrong. He is an intelligent boy, but he just does things when he wants to do them. My doctor told me that sometimes it takes a little longer for boys to speak compared to girls. Just keep reading and talking to him.
    Rachy

Answer by Rachy at 10:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2008