How can I be admitted into the hospital?

I don't want to end up in a behavior health center, I need to get away for even 24 hours to try and get myself together on my own. I wont have a sitter for my kids to stay pass 24 hours. I have severe panic attacks and need to try and get a little help to control them. My kids are not in danger and I am not suicidal, but my anxiety is getting out of control and I been to doctors and it dont help and my counselor suggest admitting myself but I could not stay 72 hours, I would need to leave before then. I was thinking if I could be admitted in a regular hospial to get my heart and everything checked I could calm down because I wouldn't feel as if I having a heart attack if I am checked and can know my heart is okay it's only anxiety.

nashia

Asked by nashia at 5:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Health

• If you walk in voluntarily (in the US), most psych hospitals will absolutely admit you. You do not need to be suicidal or have any of the other requirements for a "hold". If you have insurance, call them first to find out which of your nearby psych facilities they are contracted with. They will let you know what your co=pay is and where to go. There should be a "behavioral health" phone humber on the back of your card. If not, call the main customer service phone number.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If you go in voluntarily its usually 72 hours but since youre going in on your own you can live before the 72 hours is up unless they determine you are a danger to yourself or others. Just go to the ER and tell them you need to be admitted.

Answer by gemgem at 6:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• not sure.. go to a friends?!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Are you talking for mental health? You need to look up behavioral medicine centers in your area. From what I understand, the only way they will admit you to an institution is if you are a danger to yourself, or others. Unless you extremly disturbed, or depressed. It's not really a vacation. They usually hold you for 72 hours not 24. What's going on? Are you depressed?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• i'm sorry! I just read your question again and I'm a little confused. The title says to me you want to be admitted for a day, but the details say you don't. Do you just need a break?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• What type of hospital is it you are wanting to be admitted to and for what reason?

A hospital really isn't the place to just get away for 24 hours and get yourself together. If you genuinely need help (either mental/emotional/physical) and you are unstable and could be a danger to yourself or others. Then yes a hospital and admittance is the best thing for you.

However, if you just need to get away, take time, decompress and think, then a hospital isn't the right place for that. If you just need 24 to yourself to regroup then you just need to take that time: stay in a hotel, go somewhere quiet where you can think, take a long drive, go see a friend.. or whatever.. Do something along those lines instead of taking up valuable hospital space and resources.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• They usually keep you 72 hours not just 24.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If you think you will feel better knowing that your heart is okay . . . . your doc or an urgent care can always take your BP, pulse, oxygen level, and do a quick EKG. Have you tried any meds? There are alot of good anti-anxiety meds that can help. Really. If you are on anti-depressents, maybe talk to your doc about a change. Certain ones, like prozac, can actually make panic attacks and anxiety worse.

But, really, any urgent care can do an EKG . . . they usualla are able to tell you whether it is anxiety or not.

If it helps you, try some progressive muscle relaxation, deep tummy breathing, meditation, yoga . . . .

There are also some really good tricks to stop the panic attack and refocus you . . . feel free to PM me.

In the meantime, a benedryl (one) at night is usually safe and can really help settle you . . . ask your doc or nurse if that is okay for you to take. Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist, too.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Find a behavioral health center in ur area and talk to someone there. good luck mama!
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2011