How do you put walls up to protect yourself?

I've never been very good at this...I'm in a position where I need to, but how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• pretty much don't open up to anyone or rust anyone. Keep ypurself ata distance and don't let anyone get close to your heart or your feelings. I am a professional at it. I have mu guard up all the time but every single time I let it down I always end up hurt
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I just don't tell anyone anything. Then they can't judge me, or tell me what they think I should do. I'm very careful who I share things with, because I have had it thrown back in my face too many times. That's how I do it. I'm sure it depends on what's going on in your life...
    Anonymous

• It isnt really something you can learn, its done subconsciously. Once you have been hurt enough times they go up on their own.

Answer by gemgem at 6:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I'm trying to getmine down all it took was 2 guys and now I can't get them down
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 6:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I don't have walls, I prefer boundaries. It's a learning process. It's learning that we don't control what others do, and we can only control ourselves. I have learned to speak up using words like "I'm not comfortable with that" or "I'd rather not" etc. If someone is asking something to personal of you, it's ok to say no! No one crosses your boundaries unless you let them. Keep exercising it little by little! It feels really weird and awkward being self honoring sometimes. But it get's easier. And I feel better about myself today.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Take time when knowing someone. Don't rush into a relationship. Be careful about what information you 'share'. Slow down, take your time in developing a relationship. It's okay not to 'share' every detail of your life with people. Somethings are always best left unsaid.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• the last guy i was with lied about everything so i dont' try to put them up but i just do subconciously and whenever i meet a new guy i automatically that anything that i don't already have proof of is a lie. They've even pointed it out to me and i feel bad and i feel like i'm pushing potential friends (not even possible boyfriends) just any new guys in my life away. And when people ask about my son's dad either i change the subject or my friends catch on and change it. I'm not senitve about it or anything it just pisses me off and puts me in a crabby mood and i don't wnat anyone seeing me like that. Just try to change the subject and stick to your friends as much as possible.
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2011