Don't ever think a baby is a mistake.

I'm going to start off by saying this is not meant to be rude.

I know I say this a lot in my posts when relevant but I am a teenage mother. For the four years my daughter has been alive I've been told how I shouldn't make the same "mistake" again and how getting pregnant young was a "mistake." But all I ever hear is: "your child is a mistake." I know no one intends that but that's how I feel when they say that. Now, I'm not saying I meant to get pregnant at 14 but I don't think it was a "mistake." A mistake is a typo in an essay or accidentally running a red light, all things you do unknowingly. I made the decision to have sex young with the knowledge of what the consequences could be. I consider it simply a choice. I haven't made that same choice twice and I don't plan to. Since having my child I decided to wait until I am married to do anything of that nature.

So to those of you that have ever said it before, just imagine how hurt you would be if someone called your child a mistake

And to those of you that have been told this throughout your life, your child is not a mistake and their life should be just as cherished as any other child in this world of ours.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son was a suprise not a mistake :) Best suprise ever!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 6:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• In my personal view.

No, having a child is not a mistake (I agree with your examples of "mistake) it is however a CHOICE.

To be frank, for some people having a child is/was a bad choice. Some people just aren't cut out to be parents (for whatever reason) and do more harm than good to a child.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I think every baby is a blessing and you are a true iinspiration!!!!! keep it up mommy!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Your choice to have sex at 14 was a mistake not your child. A child is never a mistake. It's not the child's fault. Saying they are a mistake is like blaming them for being here. Children are a blessing no matter who or where they came from.
    Anonymous

• Having sex at a young age was a bad decision choosing to keep your child was not. To say that having sex so young wasn't a bad decision is silly most people who have sex so young usually wish they would have waited to make that decision at an older age when they were better prepared for the consequences. Actting as if your decision to HAVE SEX is a good decision is sending the wrong message to young girls. I waited until 16 I slept with my BF of one year still not a good decision. No one should be having sex unless they have the ability to take care of the child that may be produced. This doesn't make children made in bad decisions mistakes it is just understanding the reality of the situation. I hope I can get my DD to wait until she can take care of a child on her own. If not well any child would be cherished and loved and NEVER a mistake. This doesn't not make sex at her age a good decision though.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 6:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• As Long As Your Happy Then It Doesnt Matter What Anyone Else Says Or Thinks :)
    Keep Your Head High And Show Them They Are Wrong :)
    EmmaOx

Answer by EmmaOx at 6:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Really couldnt have said it better myself. I had my oldest a month after I turned 18. She was my graduation present lol. I am 39 and she is 22 and we basically grew up together. She saved my life in many ways because I know I am a better person for having her. No way I ever have referred to her as a mistake and I always corrected anyone making the suggestion she was.

Answer by gemgem at 6:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Well said.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My sister had her baby at 17 and got the same responses. It is her personality type, but she bit back! She would say "My daughter is not a mistake...maybe having her at 17 was a mistake...but she is NOT!" This haunted her into adulthood when she found out she and her husband were pregnant right after filing divorce papers. She thought again that her pregnancy and baby would be treated as a mistake. She ended up losing the baby, but I really felt terrible that she was going to feel like that a second time.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• No child is ever a mistake!

Answer by older at 6:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2011