At what age adult content

do you think parens should talk to their kids about sex.

BUTTERFLY463

Asked by BUTTERFLY463 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• 10 ish
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 6:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• When they ask.  Mine are 5, 3, 18 months, another due next month.  My 5 and 3 year old know what their parts are called and that nobody is to touch them. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I think it's a continuous open dialog that starts very early

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• When they start asking questions about it. Can be anywhere from 5-15....but 15 is way to late IMO.

My DD was 5 when an older neighbor (9) took it upon themselves to tell her about sex. So, i talked to her about it at 5 when she came to me & asked me about it. She is 9 now
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I can only speak for my family/my son.

We talked to him about sex his whole life really.Age appropriate of course. However, it was something that wasn't a one time talk when he reached a certain age. Sex, sexuality, and developing in those areas is not something that happens just once, so why talk about it once was our thinking."The Talk" happened throughout his life (he will be 20 his next bday) in different stages. It was an ongoing daily thing in our home. Sex, sexuality and the like are natural, normal and a part of life, so we did our best to make educating and informing natural/normal and a part of every day life. Daily life presents many opportunities for learning, sharing, and for a child to become comfortable with themselves, sex and sexuality. Instead of hiding those types of things, shunning or avoiding them. When they happened we took the opportunity to share and teach our son.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree with Samuai chica though.  That's a little too late.  I would like to get to them before someone else does.  Actually, we'll probaly start having these discussions in about 3 years.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I have always answered questions honestly to the point my kids are satisfied with the answer. My oldest is 5, and pretty much knows it all by asking more and more questions. She knows that "sex" is what you do to make a baby, that daddy has a sperm that goes into mommy's egg so both mommy and daddy have a part of the baby. We have been through the egg attaching inside mommy and the development (to get rid of her idea that the egg will "hatch" into a baby...she thought when she saw development pictures that the white line around the amniotic sac was the "egg shell") She knows how the babies come out. Recently she asked "how" daddy "put his sperm in there", and she was satisfied with the answer "with his penis."

I have just gone with what she asked. I think it was natural of her to have so many questions because I have been pregnant with 2 younger siblings. I don't want to lie to her until I think she is "old enough".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• when they star asking
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• In my family we believe that if a kid is old enough to ask then they're old enough to be told the truth on their level. When my older sister was pregnant with her younger kids, the older ones always had questions and we told them in language they could understand. When I was pregnant I was always answering their questions and when my friend was pregnant my two year old was always asking. We always believed that it was better for them to hear it from us because if we lied or didn't tell them then they might go ask someone else and not get the right information or the other source may not be age appropriate.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with above... when they ask. My dd asked when she was 6. I told her. i kept out some details (man gets erection, orgasm, ect). I definately didn't want her to think she couldn't ask me something and I didn't want her to ask people at school and get false info.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:14 AM on Mar. 6, 2011