I have a Shih lhaso dog and I waswondering if anyone knows how to keep him from getting nasty smelly stains from around his eyes and mouth, I dont like bathing him once a week because his skin gets dry and itchy?

TillyMarie

Asked by TillyMarie at 7:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Pets

• I have a shih tzu. You have to keep the hair trimmed down around their eyes pretty well. Some of them also have allergies. Its very common. If its a problem odds are the dog has allergies. Take the dog to the vet and they will tell you what you can give it for allergies.

Answer by gemgem at 7:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Yea I will take him to the groomers and by the end of the week even with short as can be hair it gets yucky so thanks i will check into allergies. Thanks :)
    TillyMarie

Comment by TillyMarie (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My daughter has a Maltese & the same thing happened to her all of the time- She started using " Angel Eyes " & it All cleared up in a couple of weeks- you sprinkle it in their food; it's kinda expensive but, it is worth it:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Thank you very much
    TillyMarie

Comment by TillyMarie (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Be sure you are feeding a high quality brand of food. Nothing you find at Walmart (except maybe Newman's Own if yours sells it) or the grocery store. The first ingredient or two should be a NAMED (chicken, beef, lamb, etc) meat or meal and the food should contain no corn, wheat, soy, bha/bht, artificial colors/preservatives, or menadione). Proper nutrition makes a huge difference. www.dogfoodadvisor.com
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I feed him Blue, every since he was weened. I know thats what vet said to and i dont want to change him off of that yet. Blue is supposed to be top of the line quality it cost enough, im glad he is a small baby!
    TillyMarie

Comment by TillyMarie (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Blue is a great brand. Do you feed the regular Blue or grain-free Wilderness? When I fed my dogs regular Blue, my male still showed signs of allergies so I switched them to Taste of the Wild. It is also grain-free and quite a bit cheaper than Blue Wilderness. All of his allergy symptoms went away. Just because a food is high quality doesn't mean that all dogs will do well on it. I hope you are able to find something that works.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 11:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Thanks The regular blue...So if i do decide to change foods I will try Taste of the Wild. Your dog did well on the change? Im a bad creature of habit I still buy Aqua Net (good thing i only use it once or twice a year) and Oil of Olay!
    TillyMarie

Comment by TillyMarie (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Yes, they did well with the switch. I just did a gradual switch over about a week. I rotate between the 4 "flavors" of TOTW with each new bag and I still do the gradual switch each time. They love it. Before I started rotating they would get bored with their food after a few weeks so now rotating keeps them excited about eating. If you need to know if any stores near you sell TOTW, go to tasteofthewild.com and click "where to buy" or something similar. I'm not able to get TOTW locally so I order online, I just shop around for the best deal. I pay between $42 & $48 for a 30lb bag. I have 2 adult Shetland Sheepdogs (25lbs & 40lbs) and the bag lasts 6 weeks. Blue Wilderness at Petsmart would cost me $50 for 26lbs if I remember correctly!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• $36 for a 15 lb bag is what I pay and Im gonna try this. Thanks so much!
    TillyMarie

Comment by TillyMarie (original poster) at 2:37 AM on Mar. 6, 2011