Birthday was a sucess, but why was he being so rude and sassy?

We get to the place to set up for his party, my son decides to run all over the place, May i add it was in a restaurant so there were others eating.
Well then his party got started, he was running out of the room and we had to chase him, he even got his friends all riled up so then they started to do the same thing. Then well he ate nice for us which was a shocker so i just assumed he was hungry that he was acting like that. Then after everyone was done eating we ate cake and thought everything was going good. Then we started opening gifts thinking it was going to be fun and he would cooperate but i was wrong, he opens his gifts and throws each one on the floor in front of everyone who gave him presents and we then told him to say thank u and he didn't even do that.
Why did he pull this, he has had 2 other birthdays and he never did it those times, why all of a sudden he pulled it now. I mean i know he didn't get a nap but it was not around his nap-time and he did have a good night rest.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 7:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So am I to understand that he is 3 y/o now? First of all, over-stimulation or excitement over it being his big day -probably played a big factor in his behavior. Not sure why he forgot his manners, but probably b/c he is just 3 & had a big day. Maybe he was getting tired after gettng a full belly & being so wound up earlier. Help him write some simple Thank you notes or have him draw pictures for all those who attended to make up for the present fiasco. Hope he has fun playin w/ all his new stuff :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• If he's still napping my guess is he's young, as in not in kindergarden yet. Parties are something new, overwhelming, exciting, and tiring. Before the age of 3 children don't remember many things, so if you're referring to birthday's like his 1st and 2nd, he doesn't remember the parties so he's not going to remember how he acted. To him this party was brand spanking new, and his emotions determined his behavior. Most children are extra cranky during holidays and birthday parties, because they're new and exciting. Next time if you're worried about him running around, have the party at a place he can run around. And don't worry about the presents, my son is 5 and gets embarrassed when everyone is watching him, so instead of saying thank you at the party, he flies through all the presents and then together we send thank you notes. He's appreciative, it's just too much at the party. Happy belated birthday to your LO :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• well most of it was clothes, and he did get bubbles, and track, but i just felt like an idiot and horrible mom in front of everyone cuz of his actions, so i said thank u for him, but i said to him that he was being rude and that i think i should take all of his new toys away
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I wouldnt even have payed any mind if hes only 3 (assuming from this being his 3rd party) that he was just excited or over welhemed and you should feel like a bad mom or an idiot hes just a kid being a kid.
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 8:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• to myboysRmyhereo- he is always polite and says thank u when he gets something even on days like this, it was just today he was being an ungreatfull brat, and my own family even though they were laughing didn't think it was funny and at the end as they were leaving didn't even want to say good bye to him. His friend Alex was trying to play with him and my son just to him get out and pushed him and made him cry. His other friend Ella was there, and he took her gift bag i made for kids and threw out all of her toys that were in it. Why should i be the one to feel bad when i made this party for him so he can have a great time. I know he is 3 but still throwing his presents on the floor while people bought it for him kind hurts my feelings and theirs
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It shouldnt hes 3 and it was his party i guess i just see it def for example my son will b 3 in june but last yr he wanted to sit on the table to see his cake so we let him and he stood up and sat in the middle of it (before anyone got any)and when he opend his present(ones in bags anyways) he looked at them an said NA NA (his way at the time to say no no)realy loud i didnt let it bother me and it didnt bother anyone but one person and i asked her to leave if it was that big of a problem. (this person is actually not invited this yr and she is family)
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 8:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree your son was just being a kid. Anyone who has had children should know they're probably going to act a little bratty at their party. It's the nature of being a kid. It was his birthday. Write some thank you notes, let him play with his new toys, and move on. I shared the story of my 5 year old, my sister is 9 and thanked no one for her presents, but made everyone personal pictures and mailed them out afterwards. They're kids, their birthday is the one day a year it's literally all about them so it goes to their head, especially at 3. Your family should realize this if he's normally a polite well-behaved kid. If he's always a brat there's a bigger issue, but one day? Who cares
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• he always is a brat at home, and most in public but we told him when he gets something he needs to say thank u cuz it is nice to do
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2011