Whats the hardest part about having babies close in age?

My babies will be 21 months apart. Im glad they'll be close but I'm also kind of freaking out about it! My little girl is definately a mommy's girl and gets jealous any time ALL of my attention isn't on her. I'm worried she's going to be terribly upset with me! I mean she doesn't even like for me to do dishes or cook dinner...she'll literally sit and cry the whole time. How can I make the transition easier for her? In your experience, what is the hardest thing about having two under two?

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can tell you from my own personal experience... My brother and I are exactly 12 months apart... I also have a little brother. I always felt trapped in the middle with very little time nor attention spent on me.

Okay, I feel better now.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I had two 15 months apart. The hardest part for me was getting them on a schedule where I had time to spend with both of them until the baby was old enough to play with the other kids (Actually had a 4 yr old, 15 mth old and newborn). My oldest son didnt get mad at me at all. I cried like a baby though I felt horrible because I thought Id take away from his time being the baby. It turned out fine though. They were close growing up (until their teens when they wanted to be different lol) and did everything together.

Answer by gemgem at 7:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• the realization that one child may not get the attention/interaction/gratification they need and as a result of that shape their future character in a negative way
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• IMO the hardest thing is having to do unpleasant things and phases back to back, like you just get one potty trained and then have no real break before the other one is ready

my kids are 19mos apart to the day and honestly I had to like stop and THINK before answering your question. to me it was mostly AWESOME and hardly any (if any at all!) downsides
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It's chaotic, I have a 2 yo, 3 yo and 5 yo. They compete a lot for attention. They fight like cats and dogs too. And some days I feel like the bickering is never ending.

BUT there are days when I see how much they care for each other. THey can play well together. And they'll all be off to school back to back baby!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I had two girls 12 months apart, and when the youngest one arrived, I made sure that my other daughter kind of participated in the changing and feeding of the baby, it helped a lot. Introduce them to each other in loving way, telling big sister she is going to have someone to play with, etc.

Answer by older at 7:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Mine are 5, 3, 18 months, and due next month.  With each "new" one I thought the "old" one would have a rough time.  Simply not what happened.  Each child is different and is going to react differently.  I am with Hibb, I can't think of any downside in my own situation.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My boys are 18 mos apart. I wish they did diaper parties back then when I had 2 in diapers. (That part sucks!) Trying to break the oldest of the bottle when he sees baby brother getting a bottle wasnt easy either. I guess that part would be easier if you are nursing. I'm sure you will deal w/ some jealousy issues at 1st, but just keep reassuring her that there is enough love in your heart for both of them. Keep making her feel special & a big helper & she should come around. My boys were great w/ each other growing up. In fact they worked too well together & it was my "double trouble" against mom! - lol GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Try 3 kids with their birthdays only 2weeks apart. Is there an activity that she likes to do by herself? Something she can sit beside you and do while you're doing the dishes. Or bring her kitchen into yours and have her do her dishes at the same time. It was hard hearing her cry but after being consistent my daughter began to understand that once I was finished whatever task I had to do I was all hers for a while. Soon you can have her become mommy's little helper by getting diapers for you. It'll be an adjustment for both of you but you'll be okay. :)

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• mine are 29 months apart and the hardest thing was the attention thing. my 2 year old would get so jealous of the new baby.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2011