Baby chicks and baby ducks.

Me and my husband went to a feed store and ask when their baby chicks and ducks are coming in. Around the 17 th. We already have 6 chickens. Do anyone out there have any chicken and ducks?

HomeAlone45

Asked by HomeAlone45 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Pets

• At one time I had about 70 layers. I loved having the fresh brown eggs and so did everyone around me. I had one Rhode Island Red Rooster, but that is all, I would only order pullets (females) for laying.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• L&M (fleet store) where I'm at has them coming then too :) we love to go see and visit them and hold them but even in the city limits where they're sold we aren't allowed to have any. weird, sucky. sometimes we consider sneaking 1.... lol
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I have both ~ love having them both. The ducks are messier than the chickens, but I enjoy them the most (and I love the eggs for baking!). If you get both, make sure that you buy UNmedicated chick starter. The meds they put in for chickens are usually toxic for ducks/ducklings. Don't give the ducklings water to play in until they are at least 3 weeks old (we use an old paint roller pan so they have a ramp) and don't allow them to swim alone. They won't start making oil for their feathers until they are older so you'll need to dry them. Also, put marbles or small stones in the ducks water pan so they can't fall in and get soaked or drown. No more than an inch until they are older. Sounds weird, but unless you intend to watch them 24/7 like a mama duck they need supervision around water lol.

Get your brooder set up early and check the temp the 24 hours before picking them up and then ... just enjoy them :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• cont ~ grrrrr I HATE the character limit sometimes!!!

You can also wander around backyardchickens.com ... tons of good info there and lots of advice on housing, feed, illnesses, etc.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I live in the city and have backyard chickens. I love them. Ducks are a little messy for the city. I would love to have some when/if I move out to the country.
    brenatens

Answer by brenatens at 4:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have had both on the farm
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 1:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My husband is going to build that for me. Year ago I had a friend that got a baby chick and duck for Easter and then got too big for her house. She gave them to me. I call the chick Henrietta and the duck Howard the Duck. We had to change the ducks name to Mrs. Howard the duck when she started laying eggs. lol

HomeAlone45

Comment by HomeAlone45 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2011