Healthy food or healthy habits ?

i want to become healtier not go on a diet ...
but i have food phoebias ... if i dont like how something looks,the color, smells or even how its pronunce i wont eat it
so i have a really hard time doing it
n i want to add healthy habits to my daily routine
i have a 2 yr old n a baby so i wanna try to get them off on the right foot
please help

patrtiots_mommy

Asked by patrtiots_mommy at 7:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Cook from scratch using whole grains, lean proteins and vegetables and fruits....cut out white sugar, flour, pasta and rice.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• In order to eat healthy you need to venture out and try different things, or else you will never know if you like them or not. Good healthy food tends to become a healthy habit.

Answer by older at 7:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I try to eat 100% whole grains instead of enriched flour. I also try to make most meals from scratch instead of alot of processed foods. If you really want to try to eat healthier you have to read the labels on foods- the messages on the packaging can be pretty deceiving.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• The best first step you can take is controlling your portion sizes of the food you do like and eat. I did this by switching from dinner plates to salad plates. You can still fill up the little plate and have it be less than what you would put on a big plate. I have lost 30 lbs doing that and only adjusting some of my foods. I drink diet pop, teas, 2 percent milk. I eat comfort food like lasagna, ravioli, stew. I indulge in my cravings because i binge on them if I wait. I have some health issues that won't allow me to work out so I have been making dietary changes alone. I use margarine and olive oil instead of butter and canola or veggie oil. Wheat breads and pastas instead of white. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I go out to eat with friends and all order something different....we use our bread plates and share our food...good way to try something new.

Portion control is very important...drink plenty of water...when you have the urge to eat, see if it's hunger or if your thirstly...Some people confuse the two.

Good luck
    Onmyown2727

Answer by Onmyown2727 at 7:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm trying to develop a healthier diet and healthier habits as well. There are several foods that I always said I didn't like such as fish, mushrooms, and cottage cheese. Well guess what.... I forced myself to eat all of them a few times and now I like them. I thought I didn't like them, but the truth is, I had never really tried them. I just didn't like the way they looked so I never gave them a chance. Honestly, I had to eat cottage cheese mixed with fruit several times before I actually liked it but the more I ate it, the more it grew on me. Now I have a serving of cottage cheese mixed with blueberries or strawberries almost every morning for breakfast.
    KristyB

Answer by KristyB at 9:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• looks, smells, names, they r all deceiving! I'd try them first then decide if u dont like them break that phobia! But dont feed something to your kids if you wouldnt eat it you know?
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 5:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• First, learn the pronunciations! (that's a joke, btw)...just find the healthy foods you do like and work that first. Try something new every once in awhile, you'd be really surprised at how good some things actually taste!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• with me I have been keeping a journal of everything I eat--writing everything down how many calories, cards, fat that type of thing and am only allowed a certain amount of each per day and that has helped me lose 17 pounds so far in 2 months

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Eat more veggies and friuts. Make oatmeal, bran cereal or bran bread.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011