Who else here thinks it insane to put a woman flat on her back to give birth?

I have complained to doctors about this for years.They do have a birthing chair,but they need to fix this.

grismelda

Asked by grismelda at 8:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Me. It's done that way because it's more convenient for the doctor. That's why I chose a midwife. She didn't mind being in an awkward position so I could birth in any position I wanted.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• The bed can be positioned in a way to have you sit up. Then the bottom drops down & the stirrups come out. Gravity does help- that's for sure! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I was always in bed when I had my kids and never had a complaint about it. Of course the beds do position in different ways as someone pointed out. I never lay completely flat on my back even when Im not pregnant.

Answer by gemgem at 8:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• MrsMWF said it right its more convenient for the doctors they just want to hury up and be done with it and be comfertable while there doing what they need to!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 8:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• OMG! Yes!!!! With my first they had me flat on my back...and because it was my first, I didn't really know any different. It was so hard and my arms hurt so bad afterward from gripping the bed to roll myself up for an hour. I could hardly hold my baby my arms felt so weak. Also, they pushed me so hard to push for 10 seconds, take one breath, and push again for 10 seconds (4 pushes like this in a row), and I thought for sure I was going to pass out!

With my 2nd, in a different hospital, the very first thing they did was help me sit up and get comfortable. When I was kind of waiting for them to drill sargent me through when to push, they just told me to push when I had the urge to push. This delivery was done in a matter of minutes and I was SO much more in control and comfortable.

Seeing the difference, I cannot believe they would put someone on their backs and expect her to deliver without breathing!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I had an ob (man) and i didn't have to lay flat on my back, I was tilted upward
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 8:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It is that way so they can properly monitor the baby to make sure the baby is ok and if it's too stressed or whatever they can make plans to help the baby do better. When you switch positions the monitor doesn't read as well. I'm fine with keeping my baby safe.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• @ mrs.coop...that is actually inaccurate. There has been studies that show there is no better outcome with the use of continuous monitoring. The only thing that has changed over the years with the routine use of continuous monitoring is the c-section rate...which has steadily climbed (without better outcomes). A nurse could very easily listen to fetal heart tones periodically with a doppler and allow the mom to move around for comfort as needed.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• oooh!! ME!! ME!! It's TOTALLY STUPID!!!!
    I looked it up online, and LEGALLY, you can push/give birth in ANY position you want and your doctor can't do jack about it!

Here's the link! http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10084

I could push standing on my head for all the law cares. But I plan on simply squatting at the end of the bed. What is my doctor going to do? Refuse to catch!? I would SUE if he did that, as neglecting his duties as a doctor! Besides, they already have my birth plan on file, and approved the part where I said I was pushing in a "gravity friendly" position.
    Kristin_Allen

Answer by Kristin_Allen at 8:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It's ridiculous to push lying flat on your back. My midwife encouraged me to birth in whatever position I wanted to. :) I wasn't stuck in a bed or tethered by monitors or an IV.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011