Is it a good thing that our 3 1/2 month old German Shepard follows me around everywhere?

I think she views me as "Mama "since I feed and walk her and everything. We got her for protection mostly, She is very good with the kids and very gentle with baby, just wondered why she follows me around, and should I try to break her from this?

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pets

• Here is how dogs work. Dogs are pack animals. There is a leader of each pack. Your dog see's you as the leader. She will protect you and your family. Don't change a thing. Your the one in charge. Keep it that way.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 8:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Not unless your tripping over her hehe. My dog did the same thing, but she grew out of it she still does it, but not as often as before.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 4:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• No, I wouldn't change it at all! She loves you! :) My cats tend to do this as well. Even if they're comfortable where they are, they'll usually find a new place to lay in the same room as me, or at least be in view. She'll probably get more comfortable eventually and stop, but enjoy her being a baby!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with it and you should embrace it.
    JathonsMomma18

Answer by JathonsMomma18 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Does she have seperation anxiety?
    jmdelan2

Answer by jmdelan2 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Sounds like she is just acknowledging that you are the pack leader and that she is aware of her own place in the pack. That's a good thing.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Its absolutely normal. Females are much more attached than males are. Even though Rocky, follows me around everywhere. He even used to stand at the bathroom door while I was in there and whine. Eventually my friend thats a k9 trainer, told me to put him on a leash, and train him to stay in one spot. It took a few tries, especially while we were eating dinner, but he got the hint, that sometimes he just needs to find a spot of his own. I would make his bed for example in the living room, where he can not see you or the kids, and make that his spot for training. He still will follow me around, unless I sit him on his bed, and tell him to stay, but once he hears that, he will stay in there until I tell him its okay to leave. Try to be very consistent, with this kind of training. Otherwise it won't do you or your dog any good.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2008