Does anybody have any experience with dealing with kids, young preferred, who have had to deal with divorce?

I have started a series of books for children that mainly revolve around how they deal and view situations in their lives, such as divorce.

I was really young when my parents got divorced so I don't remember how it felt.

I would really like to hear what others have to say on this subject and how they think their children have or are dealing with it....

JenniferLynn3

Asked by JenniferLynn3 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son had a TERRIBLE time with it...he was 4 when the visitations stopped because of his father's incarceration (due to physically beating me).
    My son would regress after visitations with his father.
    He would ask to use his bottle and crawl around...I think/feel he was looking for the security he felt when he was a baby and everything felt safe.
    My son is now 15 and still has issues with immaturity and security issues, I do too with security.
    We both have been traumatized and feel we are survivors.
    Anymore questions feel free to contact me
    And btw I went and studied child psychology because of my son's regression and found out it's pretty common for children of divorced parents or children who deal with a loss of a parent to do!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Thanks for your input. I have studied that field also and yes it is common...

My children have never dealt with this situation so I want to make sure I am sensitive to those who have and give it the respect it deserves.

JenniferLynn3

Comment by JenniferLynn3 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My son doesn't remember his father and I being together. He would think it was strange if we were together. He knows we are friends and he has two houses. He was only 18 months when I left his dad so he doesn't know any different.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Yeah thats where my sister and I are kmath, we can't even remember them being a couple at all
    JenniferLynn3

Comment by JenniferLynn3 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2011